News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 27, 2018, 03:52:01 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 27, 2018, 03:41:21 PM
(this whole mixing film with video

What does this mean?

Outdoors scenes are shot in film and often dubbed sound. Indoors are shot in a studio with video and live sound. When you mix both footages it feels jarring. There are - for example - scenes where somebody is looking out the window. The shots of him inside his room are in video, but the shots of what he sees (i.e. some guards patrolling the yard), are shot in film.

I have seen a lot of 1970s Brit shows do that. At the time video equipment of professional quality was too impractical for exterior shooting. But otoh shooting everything in film was pretty expensive (yank shows tended to do that).

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on March 27, 2018, 04:22:43 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 27, 2018, 03:52:01 PM
(this whole mixing film with video

What does this mean?

Outdoors scenes are shot in film and often dubbed sound. Indoors are shot in a studio with video and live sound. When you mix both footages it feels jarring. There are - for example - scenes where somebody is looking out the window. The shots of him inside his room are in video, but the shots of what he sees (i.e. some guards patrolling the yard), are shot in film.

I have seen a lot of 1970s Brit shows do that. At the time video equipment of professional quality was too impractical for exterior shooting. But otoh shooting everything in film was pretty expensive (yank shows tended to do that).

And what's more 'we' often re-used the tapes.  :bowler: bbc :bleeding:

Hell when I worked for a video company I can recall reusing U-matic tapes, a lot.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on March 27, 2018, 03:41:31 PM
I suspect you know exactly that I am trying to say, since I spelled it out rather clearly.

I will pass on your invitation to play the strawman game.

A wise move.  You will note that, unlike you, cc never actually took a position.  He doesn't like to have to defend positions, since they are weak sauce coming out of his mouth, so he simply tries to make you defend his strawman positions.

Churchill certainly made some mistakes in the famine period (among them underestimating the corruption of the Bengali government and the willingness of Congress to sabotage the relief efforts to make the Muslim League government look bad), but the larger issues were mostly out of his control.  It is interesting to see the Indian nationalists trying to pin the blame on Churchill in order to divert attention from the Indian contributions to the problem.  He is to Indians what Cromwell is to the Irish.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

I suspect you know exactly that I am trying to say, since I spelled it out rather clearly.

I don't.  But if you want to engage in that kind of bs, I am out.  Thanks

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on March 27, 2018, 04:40:52 PM

A wise move.

Yep, certainly a page from the Grumbler playbook.  You guys should find a room.

Josephus

Just started rewatching the old Colditz BBC show. Mostly out of nostalgia, since I used to watch it when I was a kid at my grandma's (mom didn't like me watching shows about nazis :lol:). Despite not being technically great (this whole mixing film with video that 1970s Brit shows did so often is pretty jarring nowadays) it holds pretty well in other aspects.

I remember that. Used to watch it when i was young tooo.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on March 27, 2018, 05:03:30 PM
Just started rewatching the old Colditz BBC show. Mostly out of nostalgia, since I used to watch it when I was a kid at my grandma's (mom didn't like me watching shows about nazis :lol:). Despite not being technically great (this whole mixing film with video that 1970s Brit shows did so often is pretty jarring nowadays) it holds pretty well in other aspects.

I've got it somewhere, maybe I should watch it, iirc it had an interesting mix of stars.

celedhring

Most nazi characters (except the security chief) are played by Brits putting out a vague German accent. Robert Wagner plays a yank yahoo, I admit that I'm not familiar with the other stars.

Besides the "how are we going to escape" arc, I like the ongoing arc where the SS is trying to take over the prison, and the Wehrmacht tries to avoid it. It places an interesting conflict: if the protagonists are too successful (and ofc you want them to escape), it will give the SS a case for taking over. And you really really really don't want the SS running the shop.

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on March 27, 2018, 05:08:02 PM
Quote from: Josephus on March 27, 2018, 05:03:30 PM

I've got it somewhere, maybe I should watch it, iirc it had an interesting mix of stars.

I have very fond memories of that show

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on March 27, 2018, 05:14:39 PM
Most nazi characters (except the security chief) are played by Brits putting out a vague German accent. Robert Wagner plays a yank yahoo, I admit that I'm not familiar with the other stars.

Besides the "how are we going to escape" arc, I like the ongoing arc where the SS is trying to take over the prison, and the Wehrmacht tries to avoid it. It places an interesting conflict: if the protagonists are too successful (and ofc you want them to escape), it will give the SS a case for taking over. And you really really really don't want the SS running the shop.

A who's who of British actors, the only other one you might know would be David McCallum, did a few films and tv series.

edit:
also Ed Bishop, Space 1999 (?) etc.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 27, 2018, 04:53:05 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 27, 2018, 04:40:52 PM

A wise move.

Yep, certainly a page from the Grumbler playbook.  You guys should find a room.

Still smarting from that spanking I gave you, I see.  :D
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

You really should have gotten a room for that too. :x
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Despite not being technically great (this whole mixing film with video (...) is pretty jarring nowadays)

Tommy Wiseau did it for the Room too, though it was HD video at least.  :P

To be fair, The Prisoner in the '60s was entirely shot on film so it looks great nowadays, same for the Persuaders in the '70s, American money was involved in the latter at least I believe.

Tamas

You know there is starting to be too many Star Wars movies, when I of all people only today realise that the Solo movie is releasing in just two months.