News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Attention-span starting to wane?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on February 15, 2018, 06:47:19 AM
The Post. Extremely well crafted both in front and behind the camera. Streep in particular is simply fantastic. If it wasn't for all the talent involved, I would have been bored to tears - I'm sure the events are a landmark of the freedom of the press and all that, but it really doesn't make for a particularly engaging film. It all boils down to "We have to publish it!" "We can't" for around an hour and then "Ok, we'll do it" "Oh look, we won the court case".

I'm off to see it next week. There's a Jewish centre in central London that does screenings of various films for £5 on Tuesdays (saw Darkest Hour there the week before last which was excellent). The are also running that 3 Billboards film directly after that eve but I don't think I want to do a double feature. :lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

I'm sure you'll like it. I mean, Spielberg really makes wonders in injecting pace and tension in what's at the end a rather dry story, and Streep is fantastic. She's the boss, but nobody takes her seriously because she inherited the newspaper, plus she's a woman. But the kicker is that she doesn't trust herself either, and Streep plays that inner doubt and struggle in such a subdued yet compelling manner that becomes the highlight of the film, rather than the by-the-numbers "do we publish this or not?" plot.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

I'm thinking I might see that this weekend which will make these last few weeks an aberration compared to how I typically don't go to the movies.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Nothing like February releases to get you out the door.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Liep

Hard Ticket to Hawaii (1987)

Worst movie I've seen in a while but it has boobs and a wealth of ridiculous one liners so it' watchable.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Waiting for Black Panther. More black people at the movie theater than I've ever seen in my entire neighborhood.

Iormlund

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

garbon

Quote from: garbon on February 16, 2018, 04:07:00 PM
Waiting for Black Panther. More black people at the movie theater than I've ever seen in my entire neighborhood.

Really enjoyed it. Technologically superior Africa, strong female characters. Also, I think first movie that I've seen in a while where the villain was clearly evil (and so the villain's plans) but had a desired aim that was somewhat easy to sympathize with. [spoiler]Making it so that Wakanda would actually do something to alleviate suffering in the world with their superior tech, rather than just observing the world.[/spoiler]

crazy canuck

I am looking forward to this.  I am going to try to see it tomorrow  :)