News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Halfway through and I'm liking Altered Carbon.
A mashup of ideas but it works.
It is quite funny though how it tries to stay cyber punk by playing up the Japanese. Makes it seem very 80s.
Nary a Indian, African or Chinese to be seen.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Well it does take place in SF and 3 of the main recurrent characters are black.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on February 14, 2018, 11:47:13 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 14, 2018, 09:03:44 AM
Now that's unfair for Tommy Wiseau, who gave us a so-bad-it's-good bonafide classic movie, something 50 Shades of whatever will not ever be!  :mad:

Yeah, I agree.  I've only seen the original Fifty Shades movie; but I think that having Tommy Wiseau direct it would have been a major improvement.

:thumbsup:

Speaking of which, there is a screening of The Room next Friday, in the biggest Parisian cinema, in theory 2560 seats but most of the time the upper level seats are not used, so 1000-1500 people I guess.
First screening was sold out, so they organised a second. :)
Tommy Wiseau will be there! :cool:

garbon

For Valentine's Day, I watched the ever so romantic The Postman Always Rings Twice with Lana Turner.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2018, 02:25:48 AM
I've been streaming Wonder Woman while I work out.  This is not a very good movie.  One super hottie + standard slo mo wirefu + retarded story line.

I'm also guessing it was not a huge hit in Germany.

It had General Erich Ludendorff throwing around freaking Wonder Woman for a few seconds. I don't see General Haig or General Foche doing that, do you? 10/10
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on February 14, 2018, 08:44:22 PM
I've been streaming Wonder Woman while I work out.  This is not a very good movie.  One super hottie + standard slo mo wirefu + retarded story line.

It had General Erich Ludendorff throwing around freaking Wonder Woman for a few seconds. I don't see General Haig or General Foche doing that, do you? 10/10

Haig would lose 250,000 men trying that
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Add shyte dialogue.

celedhring

The Post. Extremely well crafted both in front and behind the camera. Streep in particular is simply fantastic. If it wasn't for all the talent involved, I would have been bored to tears - I'm sure the events are a landmark of the freedom of the press and all that, but it really doesn't make for a particularly engaging film. It all boils down to "We have to publish it!" "We can't" for around an hour and then "Ok, we'll do it" "Oh look, we won the court case".

Oexmelin

What would be the best "newspaper movie"?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 15, 2018, 10:59:06 AM

Perhaps All the President's Men
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Citizen Kane? It Happened One Night? Roman Holiday?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

To those already mentioned I'd add His Girl Friday and Ace in the Hole.

crazy canuck

Spotlight would be on the list too.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".