News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: mongers on February 08, 2018, 04:39:20 PM
Somewhat related to the topic in hand, this netflix/bbc offering sounds quite interesting:

Troy: Fall of a City

This is a BBC/Netflix eight-part drama which retells Homer's story from the Trojans' viewpoint. "The story we're telling has an epic and political sweep but is also deeply human and intimate," says writer David Farr.

Troy: Fall of a City will be begin at 9.10pm, 17 February, on BBC One.

But, really, what's the point?  Half the book is dedicated to the Trojan point of view.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

:w00t: Will they have the topless towers?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on February 08, 2018, 05:06:53 PM
Somewhat related to the topic in hand, this netflix/bbc offering sounds quite interesting:

This is a BBC/Netflix eight-part drama which retells Homer's story from the Trojans' viewpoint. "The story we're telling has an epic and political sweep but is also deeply human and intimate," says writer David Farr.

But, really, what's the point?  Half the book is dedicated to the Trojan point of view.

What's the point of anything?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

We create our own meaning mongers.  :)

Grey Fox

Quote from: mongers on February 08, 2018, 05:12:22 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on February 08, 2018, 05:06:53 PM

What's the point of anything?

Profits
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Savonarola

Icarus (2017)

This documentary starts off as a story of an amateur cyclist (Bryan Fogel) decides to dope in order to be more competitive at the Haute Route competition.  He contacts the head of the US World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) lab as to how to do it without getting caught.  The US guy initially seems responsive, but then gets cold feet.  Instead he gives him the contact information of the head of the Russian WADA lab, Grigory Rodchenkov.  Rodchenkov (surprise!) has no problem going through with this scheme.  Hilarity ensues, and while Fogel doesn't do any better in the Haute Route, he does end up with Rodchenkov as a house guest after Rodchenkov flees for his life in the wake of the WADA investigation of his lab.  The film takes a decidedly different turn after this and focuses on Rodchenkov and the WADA investigation.

While, as always, I encourage some amount of skepticism in regards to documentaries; it is hard to escape the conclusion that the Russian state sponsored athletics program may not be entirely honest.   :unsure:

grumbler

Finally saw Dunkirk, and agree with those who think it was visually stunning.  I thought that direction was very weak, though.  The actors were mostly flat, and the attempt to links three scenarios with different time streams into a single narrative around the sinking of the minesweeper was far more interesting and understandable in the abstract than in the execution.  Kenneth Branagh was almost completely wasted.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on February 08, 2018, 05:03:39 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 08, 2018, 04:40:47 PM
I think their thought process will be something like: 'So if we just give that one woman back to the Greeks they will go away?'

The two sages, Ucalegon and Antenor, elders of the people, were seated by the Scaean gates, with Priam, Panthous, Thymoetes, Lampus, Clytius, and Hiketaon of the race of Mars. These were too old to fight, but they were fluent orators, and sat on the tower like cicales that chirrup delicately from the boughs of some high tree in a wood. When they saw Helen coming towards the tower, they said softly to one another, "Small wonder that Trojans and Achaeans should endure so much and so long, for the sake of a woman so marvellously and divinely lovely. Still, fair though she be, let them take her and go, or she will breed sorrow for us and for our children after us."

Iliad Book III (Samuel Butler Translation)

Well that just about covers it. What is there left for this series to say?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

I've just started watching Enterprise for the first time. What's up with the terrible theme song?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on February 10, 2018, 08:38:10 AM
I've just started watching Enterprise for the first time. What's up with the terrible theme song?

Terrible song is terrible.  Not sure there's much else to say.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

I don't recall the other Trek's picking something abysmal.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Didn't most stick with variations of original trek theme?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus