And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on February 22, 2018, 12:50:11 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2018, 12:12:21 PM
So, does anybody at all out there remember the 90s-era CGI kids show "ReBoot"?  I actually remember it fondly.  The 90s-era CGI I imagine has not held up well, but after a couple seasons of purely episodic storytelling (the kind where everything returns to the same by the end of the episode), it suddenly veered wildly into serialized storytelling which was kind of unprecedented for a 90s cable-tv kids show.  It was made in Canada so I'm not entirely sure how much it was shown around the globe.

It's being, well, rebooted.

With live characters / CGI hybrid.  On Netflix, of course.

I remember quite liking it, until suddenly without warning it all changed.
The main hero was gone and the kid sidekick was all grown up and 90s-dark.

I thought that's when it got interesting.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Scipio

Quote from: Savonarola on February 22, 2018, 10:22:07 AM
Black Panther (2018)

It wasn't bad enough that there are already a ton of films that encourage children to play on railroad tracks; now Marvel has to make one that encourages children to have brawls on railroad tracks in front of oncoming trains.  Thanks a lot, Disney.   :mad: :mad: :mad:

;)

I thought it was interesting that the film presented two different points of view that were both deemed wrong (not helping the rest of the world / conquering the rest of the world), and develops a third correct view.  Cecil B. DeMille's silent films often follow that formula in his silent films; the original "Ten Commandments" and "The Godless Girl" for example.

Fortunately the film didn't get too bogged down in the message and it made for a nice espionage/action film.  My only knock in the film is that [spoiler]the silent shoes had no bearing whatsoever on the rest of the movie.  They were in their only for the lame "Sneakers" gag.[/spoiler]

Now I can't enjoy this movie because it's Hegelian.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2018, 12:59:53 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 22, 2018, 12:50:11 PM
So, does anybody at all out there remember the 90s-era CGI kids show "ReBoot"?  I actually remember it fondly.  The 90s-era CGI I imagine has not held up well, but after a couple seasons of purely episodic storytelling (the kind where everything returns to the same by the end of the episode), it suddenly veered wildly into serialized storytelling which was kind of unprecedented for a 90s cable-tv kids show.  It was made in Canada so I'm not entirely sure how much it was shown around the globe.

I remember quite liking it, until suddenly without warning it all changed.
The main hero was gone and the kid sidekick was all grown up and 90s-dark.

I thought that's when it got interesting.

It might have been, I think the scheduling changed around then too...or maybe my school scheduling changed?
I stopped watching around then anyway and completely couldn't get into the new format since as you say the episodes relied on each other so miss one and you miss them all- I always seemed to have a habit of missing key episodes of shows I liked as a kid.
Oh to be born in the modern times of online catchup TV. How different would my life be without having to schedule around TV.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

I just now learned of Cop Rock. Why am I never told of these things? It never made it to Sweden.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on February 22, 2018, 11:02:01 AM
Quote from: The Brain on February 22, 2018, 11:00:28 AM
You don't like that it's completely black? :huh:

It isn't though :(

Yep, like every episode of "Soul Train" they have a couple token honkeys.  (Fortunately they don't let the honkeys dance.  They learned from Don Cornelius's mistakes.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on February 22, 2018, 02:24:10 PM
I just now learned of Cop Rock. Why am I never told of these things? It never made it to Sweden.

Because we all promised never to speak about Cop Rock ever again.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

Quote from: Scipio on February 22, 2018, 02:14:38 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on February 22, 2018, 10:22:07 AM
Black Panther (2018)

It wasn't bad enough that there are already a ton of films that encourage children to play on railroad tracks; now Marvel has to make one that encourages children to have brawls on railroad tracks in front of oncoming trains.  Thanks a lot, Disney.   :mad: :mad: :mad:

;)

I thought it was interesting that the film presented two different points of view that were both deemed wrong (not helping the rest of the world / conquering the rest of the world), and develops a third correct view.  Cecil B. DeMille's silent films often follow that formula in his silent films; the original "Ten Commandments" and "The Godless Girl" for example.

Fortunately the film didn't get too bogged down in the message and it made for a nice espionage/action film.  My only knock in the film is that [spoiler]the silent shoes had no bearing whatsoever on the rest of the movie.  They were in their only for the lame "Sneakers" gag.[/spoiler]

Now I can't enjoy this movie because it's Hegelian.

Heh, yes, actually it is.  ("Dialectic and Super-Dialectic; Hegelianism in the Marvel Cinematic Universe" would make a great title for a Master's Thesis.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2018, 02:30:04 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 22, 2018, 02:24:10 PM

Because we all promised never to speak about Cop Rock ever again.

Why speak - when you can sing?  :D

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

I watched it & loved every minute of it. Altho, like Tyr, I didn't like the turn when Enzo grew up & got old. I liked Ray Tracer a lot tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Fuck you guys are young.

Only reason I even heard of Reboot is I watched it once baby sitting my nephew who is now 30
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Seems Barrister was a little old for it then.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

I was a teen when Reboot was on. It was pretty fun. Heck, for Nostalgia's sake I'll probably sample the rebooted Reboot.

Beast Wars was the other 1990s CGI show that was reasonably popular among my friends at the time. I remember hating it, though, because it wasn't *real* Transformers.  :mad:

EDIT: Watching the Netflix Reboot trailer it doesn't really look much like the old one, except that the CGI is still shitty.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Beast Wars, I loved that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.