Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on February 23, 2018, 11:29:10 AM
I remember hating it, though, because it wasn't *real* Transformers.  :mad:

PREACH!

I am in a weird place because my kids are REALLY into transformers now and that was by far my biggest obsession as a kid. They are re-awakening long dormant feelings inside of me. So I was in the toy store with them a couple weeks ago and I saw a Windcharger toy that looked just like he did back in the old Transformers cartoon. So I had to buy it...my first Transformers toy since 1988. Now I have three.

At least my boys are playing with them so I can at least justify my madness to myself :lol: :blush:

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Birth of the Dragon- Damn this is a weird film.
At first it seems a Bruce Lee biopic...But it soon becomes clear Bruce Lee is just a supporting character and the hero of the story is Bruce Lee's friend, some white Sinophile guy.
White guy reads about Jack Man's visit to America and decides to go make friends with him too. He learns that Bruce Lee is an arsehole who doesn't understand the spirit of kung fu, it is meant  to be about self control not violence!
White guy is also into a random Chinese girl who is owned by the triads.
Shit happens.
Hmm.
Not good
██████
██████
██████

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 23, 2018, 10:10:37 PM
Beast Wars, I loved that.
Same.  The Michael Bay movies though?  *shudder*  There is only only one Transformers movie and it is animated.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

KRonn

Walking Dead starts up again this Sunday, second half of the season.  :)  At first I didn't watch that show for probably the first two years. Then I watched a WD Marathon and got into it, watching it from the start. Been hooked ever since.

Habbaku

Saw Annihilation.

Don't bother.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on February 25, 2018, 04:36:19 PM
Saw Annihilation.

Don't bother.

Oh no, how come? I'd meant to see that this weekend but then didn't.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Never got into the Saw franchise.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2018, 04:42:55 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 25, 2018, 04:36:19 PM
Saw Annihilation.

Don't bother.

Oh no, how come? I'd meant to see that this weekend but then didn't.

The movie never quite seems to figure out what level of emotional attachment I should have for its leads. The plot is a bit of a mess. The visuals, while impressive at times, are too intermittent to have much of the dazzling effect I think they were intended to.

The ending is, in my opinion, a complete wreck and provides exactly zero closure to any of the prospects that are laid out through the narrative. It takes from the worst pages of Damon Lindelof in that regard.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

mongers

'The Take' / 'Bastille Day' - Idris Elba (?) is hamstrung by some of the worst dialogue that I've heard in a long time. The plot has holes as well and the other actors fared even worse with their lines.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Is Homeland racist? Someone mentioned "the racism of Homeland", and I got curious if it actually is racist or not (I have never seen the show and likely never will).

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on February 26, 2018, 07:13:21 AM
Is Homeland racist? Someone mentioned "the racism of Homeland", and I got curious if it actually is racist or not (I have never seen the show and likely never will).

I think one could reasonably make the argument given how white people in the show are generally the CIA and then brown people are either terrorists or unwitting dupes of the CIA.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on February 26, 2018, 08:56:42 AM
Quote from: The Brain on February 26, 2018, 07:13:21 AM

I think one could reasonably make the argument given how white people in the show are generally the CIA and then brown people are either terrorists or unwitting dupes of the CIA.

Thanks!

HVC

Wasn't there something about extras  graffitiing "This show is racist" in Arabic in some scenes? Or am I misremembering.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.