News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Of course they're comparable, strictly speaking. All human experiences are comparable. For example, Gravity is betterthan all but two of my heretofore received orgasms.

I was disclosing my bias for more tense, more surprising, more thrilling filmmaking. (Lumet is definitely capable of it!) The true story imposes a limit, but just 'cause something's true doesn't make it better.

Anyway, I still loved it.

Yi: which Black Sunday?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Bruce Dern tries to blow up the Super Bowl.

Ideologue

Cool. It's not back on Netflix Instant is it? I got screwed when they took it off.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on January 02, 2015, 03:49:23 PMThe true story imposes a limit, but just 'cause something's true doesn't make it better.

Not too sure about that. True stories have a plus for me when they convey extreme examples of human behavior. Anybody can make up some bizarre story, knowing that something happened for real makes it more gripping, to me, than a more tightly executed but fake story.

That's why, say, Conspiracy spooks the hell out of me while Fatherland doesn't.

A matter of tastes, of course.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on January 02, 2015, 03:53:03 PM
Cool. It's not back on Netflix Instant is it? I got screwed when they took it off.

Dunno.  I don't do Netflix.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on January 02, 2015, 03:49:23 PM
Of course they're comparable, strictly speaking. All human experiences are comparable. For example, Gravity is betterthan all but two of my heretofore received orgasms.

I was disclosing my bias for more tense, more surprising, more thrilling filmmaking. (Lumet is definitely capable of it!) The true story imposes a limit, but just 'cause something's true doesn't make it better.

Anyway, I still loved it.

New York City is a key character in the DDA, and specifically outer borough NYC in the 1970s.  That character is compelling and believable not only because of the art of those making the film but because it was filmed on location in the area where the robbery occurred.
Inside Man nominally takes place in downtown Manhattan but really it could be set just about anywhere there is a big city with a big bank.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Speaking of Black Sunday, does anyone know how Robert Shaw got that funky accent?

Ideologue

Cel: want to reply to that at home.

JR: 75% of IM was filmed at 20 Exchange Place. You could do the caper plot anywhere, but Lee's execution has a very, very concrete sense of place. And it HAS to be on (or right off of) Wall Street.

Then again, you, like, probably work at 20 Exchange Place.
Kinemalogue

lustindarkness

Did I just see a trailer to the new Avengers trailer? Really? A trailer hyping the upcoming trailer?  :wacko:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 02, 2015, 04:14:44 PM
Speaking of Black Sunday, does anyone know how Robert Shaw got that funky accent?

You mean an Englishman trying to do an Israeli accent, and not quite succeeding all the time?

Barrister

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 02, 2015, 04:25:43 PM
Did I just see a trailer to the new Avengers trailer? Really? A trailer hyping the upcoming trailer?  :wacko:

Welcome to the fabulous new world we live in. :hug:

Months late to the party, watched Guardians of the Galaxy.  Probably a victim of hightened expectations - saw many positive reviews of it.  In the end it was much better than it had any right to be, but it was still fairly silly and the plot doesn't hold together on even a cursory examination.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 02, 2015, 04:28:38 PM
You mean an Englishman trying to do an Israeli accent, and not quite succeeding all the time?

Yeah, the same one he used in The Sting and The Spy Who Love Me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on January 02, 2015, 04:22:17 PM

I used to live in another conversion building on Exchange Place.  20 Exchange is now mainly a residential building as well.

The movie uses the confined space and the verticality and the fact of it being a big city/financial center but you could do a remake in Hong Kong or someplace similar.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 02, 2015, 04:39:48 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 02, 2015, 04:22:17 PM

I used to live in another conversion building on Exchange Place.  20 Exchange is now mainly a residential building as well.

The movie uses the confined space and the verticality and the fact of it being a big city/financial center but you could do a remake in Hong Kong or someplace similar.

How's the rent control?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 02, 2015, 04:31:35 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 02, 2015, 04:28:38 PM

Yeah, the same one he used in The Sting and The Spy Who Love Me.

I dunno, his accents always seem to fade in and out on him.  Didn't seem to be his strong suit.