News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Arrow was basically a Batman copycat in the comics. They solved that by basically turning him into a rabid leftie in the 70s.

The series is cool, but it does draw from Batman themes. Which is fine, I love the work they do with Queen. He's hard to like and I like that the series doesn't sugarcoat the fact that you have to be pretty damn fucked up to do what he does.

Kleves

Into the Woods. Enjoyable enough, though none of the songs were particularly catchy. Also: Anna Kendrick. :wub:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on January 02, 2015, 03:47:48 AM
Arrow was basically a Batman copycat in the comics. They solved that by basically turning him into a rabid leftie in the 70s.

The series is cool, but it does draw from Batman themes. Which is fine, I love the work they do with Queen. He's hard to like and I like that the series doesn't sugarcoat the fact that you have to be pretty damn fucked up to do what he does.

I like Queen. It helps that the actor who plays him is hott, I guess. :P

Still, my favourite character on the show is Felicity Smoak.

Eddie Teach

Marco Polo. I know very little of the history involved and probably would care little about the gross inaccuracies I'm sure abound in this show if I did. It's a very good yarn.

BTW, anyone else see a resemblance between the Chinese chancellor and Kevin Spacey?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

Quote from: Kleves on January 02, 2015, 09:28:38 AM
Into the Woods. Enjoyable enough, though none of the songs were particularly catchy. Also: Anna Kendrick. :wub:
Sondheim's not really about catchyness.

And Agony kind of is.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

Quote from: Martinus on January 02, 2015, 10:37:30 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 02, 2015, 03:47:48 AM

I like Queen. It helps that the actor who plays him is hott, I guess. :P

Still, my favourite character on the show is Felicity Smoak.

Mine too, but for the same reason you like Oliver Queen.

crazy canuck

Quote from: KRonn on January 01, 2015, 10:58:52 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 01, 2015, 10:50:27 PM
'Grand Budapest Hotel' - Great film with an excellent performance from R.Fiennes.  :)

I've seen offered that on pay TV but so far haven't seen the film. I'll have to check it out next time I see it somewhere.

Its on Netflix.  Well worth watching.

Eddie Teach

I saw an episode of Black Mirror. Very disturbing. Dunno if I'll watch any more.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 31, 2014, 10:31:27 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 31, 2014, 07:35:32 AM
Dog Day Afternoon (1975).  Not my favorite Lumet movie I've seen (actually, I guess it's the "worst" :P ), and there's some hard-to-pin-down slackness to it (to make a somewhat unfair comparison, Inside Man has about four times the plot, yet is something along the lines of ten minutes shorter with credits).  But otherwise, totally great.

Yes, back then films weren't made with today's Millennials and their attention spans shorter than a gnat's lifespan in mind, so it could appear to possess a certain slackness.

No kidding, DDA is very tight.
The comparison with Inside Man is apples and oranges.  DDA is about an actual bank robbery and it captures a particular time and place.  Inside Man is a script-writers fantasy of wouldn't it be fun if we wrote X - there really isn't much a plot there, just lots of side plots and red herrings.  It is fun, and I like Denzel, and Jodie Foster does a nice turn, but DDA has Pacino and Cazale at their Godfather-era peak, and it is really no comparison at all.

The actual robber (Pacino's character) died a few months ago, BTW.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 02, 2015, 02:04:57 PM
I saw an episode of Black Mirror. Very disturbing. Dunno if I'll watch any more.

I've eyed that. What's disturbing about it?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 02, 2015, 03:24:44 PM
The comparison with Inside Man is apples and oranges.  <snip>

but DDA has Pacino and Cazale at their Godfather-era peak, and it is really no comparison at all.

Seems you changed your mind mid-post.  :D

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on January 01, 2015, 08:01:11 AM
Tied for 1)Fail-Safe and Deathtrap (with the caveat that I just saw Deathtrap and I might just be overenthusiastic about it)

As to the latter I hope for your sake yes.  As for Fail-Safe, nothing wrong with it, but your comparative ranking seems overly influenced by your SAC fetishes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 02, 2015, 03:28:30 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 02, 2015, 03:24:44 PM
The comparison with Inside Man is apples and oranges.  <snip>

but DDA has Pacino and Cazale at their Godfather-era peak, and it is really no comparison at all.

Seems you changed your mind mid-post.  :D

I'm pushing Ed Anger years, don't confuse me.
One of the flicks has a fruit in it, OK?
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 02, 2015, 03:30:12 PM
I'm pushing Ed Anger years, don't confuse me.

Well, the whole point of the apples and oranges analogy is that they're incomparable. But then you suggest Dog Day Afternoon is better.  :hmm:

Admiral Yi

Watched a good chunk of Black Sunday last night.