TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Break out Moonraker, you fucks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 30, 2014, 10:19:01 AM
It should fix the underlying problem, "I feel racist for neglecting Spike Lee," by watching one of his person of no color movies. :P

The other two I've seen are Do the Right Thing and Summer of Sam.  .666 white. :lol:

With only three films under your belt, you are now prepared to write your massive Spike Lee filmography  evaluation, as is your wont.

You would appreciate 25th Hour, though;  it's about going to jail.  Nyuk.

Seriously, the end is one of the best father-son scenes in film.

Eddie Teach

I received a copy of Skyfall for Christmas. The plan is to leave it wrapped up and regift it next year.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on December 30, 2014, 10:12:34 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 30, 2014, 09:37:39 AM
Quote from: Josephus on December 30, 2014, 08:11:25 AM
thought it was pretty good. I know this forum would rant about historical inaccuracies, but in as much as it was a drama about the invention of the Enigma Machine code breaker, with the subtext about homosexuality in 40s and 50s England, I thought it was a pretty good film. 4 enigma machines out of 5.
The historical inaccuracy I see people moaning about (and I think it's justified) is the Soviet/Fifth Man subplot which is just entirely invented. It isn't very necessary for the film, it's a bit of a slander on Turing and it plays into that old-fashioned prejudice that gay men were automatic security risks.

[spoiler] Well, that, and the whole 'Turing invented the decoding-machine all on his lonesome against official disapproval" thing, which is made somewhat central to the plot - when in point of fact the English inherited a previous version of the machine from the Poles, and knew all along that machine deciphering was the way to advance. Turing's real contribution was to make the machines much more sophisticated, to cope with German improvements on the Enigma, and to turn out mathematical ideas later used by others to make even more sophisticated machines ("Collossus", not mentioned in the movie).

It is true Turing wrote to Churchill to complain - but his complaint was about lack of adequate staff to do all the decoding that needed doing.

I understand why it was done, but it is a gross distortion. Cracking the Enigma was a massive, almost industrial team effort involving thousands of people with Turing playing a key "star" role right from the start (and, contrary to the film, his working relationship with his superiors was very good) - making him a lone inventor/maveric working with a tiny team against the stick in the mud 'brass hats' is more cinematic, though. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]They do mention the Polish machine, I believe, if in passing. And it wasn't just Turing who wrote to complain...it was actually signed by many others. As you said, this whole maverick loner thing was bull shit. And yes there were thousands involved in the project, not just a half dozen. [/spoiler]

Still thought it was a well done entertaining movie though.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on December 30, 2014, 10:41:02 AM
Sheilbh just made me break out my "You Only Live Twice" DVD. It's my favorite Bond.
It's what Christmas is for :hug:

QuoteBreak out Moonraker, you fucks.
Peak Moore :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Peak Jaws.

THATS MISTER GILMORES JACKET.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on December 30, 2014, 10:41:02 AM
Sheilbh just made me break out my "You Only Live Twice" DVD. It's my favorite Bond.

Not my favorite, but by God that volcano lair and Donald Pleasance instead of Telly Savalas ( :( ) or that other guy definitely put it on the top side of my list. :)

Quote from: CDMWith only three films under your belt, you are now prepared to write your massive Spike Lee filmography  evaluation, as is your wont.

I just wanted to write about Inside Man.  All I need for that is to watch a Sidney Lumet film, which should be fun.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on December 30, 2014, 10:45:52 AM

Still thought it was a well done entertaining movie though.

Yes, I enjoyed it - it worked emotionally as a film, just not as a historical documentary.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 30, 2014, 10:48:31 AM
Peak Jaws.

THATS MISTER GILMORES JACKET.

Yeah, Peak Jaws is right.  Moonraker's only real value is as a denouement for the he-just-won't-die Jaws meme.  :lol:

CountDeMoney

AMC's running a Walking Dead marathon, still in Season 1.  It's good to see Shane again.  :)

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 30, 2014, 12:31:49 PM
AMC's running a Walking Dead marathon, still in Season 1.  It's good to see Shane again.  :)

You could also fire up the first 2 or 3 episodes of The Pacific :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on December 30, 2014, 01:15:59 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 30, 2014, 12:31:49 PM

You could also fire up the first 2 or 3 episodes of The Pacific :D

True.  :lol:

The Brain

The Departed. I liked it. Normally not a huge fan of Matt Damon or Marky Mark but they worked fine in this movie. Leo is so dreamy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

PotC: Dead Man's Chest - I think I enjoyed it more now than when it came out; even if it's more bloated than the first one (which is my favorite), it's far more entertaining and fun than most of the current crop of summer blockbusters - Marvel aside. Plus, Bill Nighy.

celedhring