News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 30, 2014, 01:16:46 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 30, 2014, 01:08:50 AM
Season 2 of Maron is on Netflix.  If you like Curb Your Enthusiasm, you'd like Maron.

It's because you identify with the whole living-alone-with-cats thing, isn't it?  :P

The man knows his audience.  :P And I find Jewish self-loathing comedy endlessly appealing.

Ideologue

Inside Man.  I've got to get around to watching some Spike Lee movies.  And Dog Day Afternoon. -_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 30, 2014, 12:13:17 AM
I think the idea was that Heisenberg took Jessie under his wing as the potential intellectual successor that he couldn't have (as his natural son was developmentally disable)...

I don't think there was anything wrong with Walt Jr's mind. Didn't he set up his own website?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on December 30, 2014, 01:38:22 AM
Inside Man.  I've got to get around to watching some Spike Lee movies. 

The early ones are mostly all the same, super-obsessed with race. Just watch Do the Right Thing and you don't need to watch the rest. Oh, and She's Gotta Have It for Mars "It's Gotta Be the Shoes" Blackmon.

QuoteAnd Dog Day Afternoon. -_-

Yes.

The Brain

Inside Man.  I've got to get around to watching some Spike Lee movies.  And Dog Day Afternoon. -_-

Watch 25th Hour.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Imitation Game.

thought it was pretty good. I know this forum would rant about historical inaccuracies, but in as much as it was a drama about the invention of the Enigma Machine code breaker, with the subtext about homosexuality in 40s and 50s England, I thought it was a pretty good film. 4 enigma machines out of 5.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josephus on December 30, 2014, 08:11:25 AM
thought it was pretty good. I know this forum would rant about historical inaccuracies, but in as much as it was a drama about the invention of the Enigma Machine code breaker, with the subtext about homosexuality in 40s and 50s England, I thought it was a pretty good film. 4 enigma machines out of 5.
The historical inaccuracy I see people moaning about (and I think it's justified) is the Soviet/Fifth Man subplot which is just entirely invented. It isn't very necessary for the film, it's a bit of a slander on Turing and it plays into that old-fashioned prejudice that gay men were automatic security risks.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 30, 2014, 09:37:39 AM
Quote from: Josephus on December 30, 2014, 08:11:25 AM
The historical inaccuracy I see people moaning about (and I think it's justified) is the Soviet/Fifth Man subplot which is just entirely invented. It isn't very necessary for the film, it's a bit of a slander on Turing and it plays into that old-fashioned prejudice that gay men were automatic security risks.

[spoiler] Well, that, and the whole 'Turing invented the decoding-machine all on his lonesome against official disapproval" thing, which is made somewhat central to the plot - when in point of fact the English inherited a previous version of the machine from the Poles, and knew all along that machine deciphering was the way to advance. Turing's real contribution was to make the machines much more sophisticated, to cope with German improvements on the Enigma, and to turn out mathematical ideas later used by others to make even more sophisticated machines ("Collossus", not mentioned in the movie).

It is true Turing wrote to Churchill to complain - but his complaint was about lack of adequate staff to do all the decoding that needed doing.

I understand why it was done, but it is a gross distortion. Cracking the Enigma was a massive, almost industrial team effort involving thousands of people with Turing playing a key "star" role right from the start (and, contrary to the film, his working relationship with his superiors was very good) - making him a lone inventor/maveric working with a tiny team against the stick in the mud 'brass hats' is more cinematic, though. [/spoiler]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Robot & Frank. Excellent film.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Brain on December 30, 2014, 06:56:16 AM

Watch 25th Hour.

It should fix the underlying problem, "I feel racist for neglecting Spike Lee," by watching one of his person of no color movies. :P

The other two I've seen are Do the Right Thing and Summer of Sam.  .666 white. :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

From Russia With Love :w00t:

Dr. No yesterday.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Sheilbh

More or less. I've watched Skyfall, Goldeneye, Dr No and the Man with the Golden Gun.

I love From Russia With Love's use of a diegetic Bond song and, also, how much Connery aged between it and Dr No :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Sheilbh just made me break out my "You Only Live Twice" DVD. It's my favorite Bond.