News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Oh, yeah!  I finally watched Russian Ark (2002) too.  THHBBT.

I bet I could make a single-take movie too, if I SPENT AN HOUR PHOTOGRAPHING AN OLD GUY LOOKING AT FUCKING PAINTINGS.

It's not that it's not still impressive, it is.  The amount of planning and choreography at work boggles the mind.  But it's so anti-cinematic it makes the entire thing seem like a waste--it's also barely about anything, as the deepest insight it communicates as to what it means to be Russian was that they spend entirely too much time thinking about what it means to be Russian.  (We're unsettlingly similar peoples sometimes.)

It's not until the very end, with the ball, that the long take is actually as thrilling as a long take should be, and you get the hint of the awesome period piece romantic comedy that would have made this pointless endeavor actually worth the insane craft and dedication it required to make it a reality.  THHBBBBBT.  It sucks.

C+

P.S. I LOLed at the guy who accidentally looks directly at the camera about five minutes before the end.  What a dick. :D
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 24, 2014, 03:57:42 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on July 24, 2014, 03:18:21 PM
Paul Newman, Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis?

If you're trying to create a Jewish leading man you don't change his name from Bernard Schwartz to Goy McShiksa.

If the object of Jewish execs was to make money Stiller has been a very good choice  ;)

Josquius

Jews don't care about making money. Why else would they be so obsessed with ruling the world?
██████
██████
██████

Scipio

The worst part of Love, Actually is that none of the actively shitty people in it die.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ideologue

Watched my two blind buys from the Criterion sale.  My faith was: rewarded. :cool:

Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (1970).  Loved, loved, loved its dark absurdity.  Did not like how it became a Choose Your Own Adventure story in the last thirty seconds.

A

Rififi (1955).  This movie doesn't like women very much. :(  Otherwise, a pretty great noir built around a complex, thrilling, yet almost-silent jewelry store burglary.  It's easy to see why it's the reference for all heist films.  Pity Topkapi isn't on blu-ray, I'd buy it blind too.  "What the fuck is that umbrella for?" I asked.  Then I knew.

A

I'm about to watch In the Mood For Love, which is appropriate as it is sad. :D

(That was pretty close to a blind buy--haven't seen it in about seven, eight years. :hmm: )
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Oh, I also got Thief and Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, the latter of which I'd been wanting for-ever.  Maybe it's not in my top 10, but it's always definitely been in my top 20.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: Ideologue on July 25, 2014, 10:07:16 PM
I'm about to watch In the Mood For Love, which is appropriate as it is sad. :D

(That was pretty close to a blind buy--haven't seen it in about seven, eight years. :hmm: )

Absolutely worthwhile. :weep:

A
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 25, 2014, 09:35:04 AM
If the object of Jewish execs was to make money Stiller has been a very good choice  ;)

It was not.  Rather it was to sexy up the Jewish brand.

Ideologue

And Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998).  We've all seen it, we all know it's a fancifully bleak adventure into the counterculture in its most pronounced state of decadence, as well as a miracle of production design and subjective filmmaking.  So no need to dwell.

A+
Kinemalogue

mongers

'Jack Ryan - Shadow bullshit/whatever' - a piece of crap.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Ideologue on July 26, 2014, 04:45:33 AM
And Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998).  We've all seen it, we all know it's a fancifully bleak adventure into the counterculture in its most pronounced state of decadence, as well as a miracle of production design and subjective filmmaking.  So no need to dwell.

A+

One of the best film reviews by Ideologue ever. :)

CountDeMoney

IFC shows old "Batman" TV show reruns on Saturday mornings, so campy and fun.

Just caught this gem of a scene with a Colonel Klink cameo:

http://youtu.be/UHD_53UqBeA

:lol:

Viking

Cowboy Bebop is Ossum. I defy you Seedy.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

House of 1000 Corpses...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on July 26, 2014, 01:49:54 PM
Cowboy Bebop is Ossum. I defy you Seedy.

Noted and catalogued accordingly.