News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on July 23, 2014, 12:03:22 AM
Trailer for Space Station 76: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18SJMvNrgDM

I like the retro 70s sci-fi look, but other than that it looks a bit boring.

Shit, man, it sold me.  But Patrick Wilson could sell me anything. :wub:

I hadn't even heard of this movie, though.  Thanks. :hug:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: viper37 on July 22, 2014, 11:22:08 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 22, 2014, 04:11:30 PM
[spoiler]Do we really need spoiler tags on 60 year old movies?[/spoiler]
[spoiler]No, you're the only ones on this forum remotely interested by pre-color&pre-speech cinema  :P [/spoiler]

:(

Quote from: garbonHas that ever been in question? Well maybe Sheilbh re: gay marriage. :D

I dunno.  I think the general idea on Languish is that the progression of history is forever and always good.  E.g., Joan's ruminations on an economy of George Jetsons.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

By all means, let's go back to the 30s
Fascism, Stalinism, pogroms,  show trials, depression, mass unemployment, lynching's, dust bowls - it's been all downhill since those wonderful days.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on July 23, 2014, 12:25:18 AM
[spoiler]No, you're the only ones on this forum remotely interested by pre-color&pre-speech cinema  :P [/spoiler]

:(

Quote from: garbonHas that ever been in question? Well maybe Sheilbh re: gay marriage. :D

I dunno.  I think the general idea on Languish is that the progression of history is forever and always good.  E.g., Joan's ruminations on an economy of George Jetsons.
I don't recall this. What was his conclusion?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

We'll all be okay without recourse to radical redistributionist policies.  He's wrong but I don't feel like arguing with him any more.

The Doll (1919).  Sav turned me onto this, but it took till I had a bit of familiarity with Lubitsch's sound work to go seeking out a silent foreign comedy from the days when people were still mystified by the whole idea that pictures could move.  But!  It's really funny.  That kid was fucking killing me as the littlest suicidal sexual predator.

B+
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Oh, and of course I rewatched Safety Last!  Which I have henceforth upgraded to an A.
Kinemalogue

celedhring

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 23, 2014, 12:13:28 AM

Cheesy creature horror has jumped the sharktopus, imho.

Also, why does Roger Corman get to be immortal while Stanley Kubrick died at "just" 70?

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on July 22, 2014, 09:20:43 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 22, 2014, 06:38:55 PM
It says so much about the changing values between the 30s and the 50s.  In the 50s you couldn't even show that married couples slept in the same bed.  In the 30s they had rape scenes.

It puts paid the idea that values can't regress, doesn't it?

No. Hollywood, as a new industry, had very little regulation. It didn't have a ratings system for example, and in general there was little control on film's content by outside authorities (the old censorship laws and infrastructures were ill-prepared to deal with it). It was not a good representation of the "official" moral values of the US, it was seen as a hotbed of immorality by many. That's why the Hays Code eventually came into force in the 1930s, and why Hollywood films became tamer from that point onwards. They were brought in line with the "dominant" morality.

celedhring

In addition, when talking a content-based nationwide industry, one has to take into account the "lowest common denominator" effect. During the mid-20s the SCOTUS allowed states to set censorship boards for film, which were slowly set up throughout the nation. Now, what happened is that a film could get a pass in New York or LA, but would be censored in, say, Kentucky or Kansas. 1930s Hollywood could hardly make different versions for different states, so ultimately studios ended up making films that could get released throughout the nation, instead on only the most progressive states.

Miscegenation, for instance, was expressly forbidden in the Code because of this.

Norgy

Duque de Bragança

[spoiler]Wrong! I am too.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]It's s'agit d'un film de genre parlant, je suis sûr que tu peux y arriver ![/spoiler]

Clouzot had forecasted it.  :D

Savonarola

It says so much about the changing values between the 30s and the 50s.  In the 50s you couldn't even show that married couples slept in the same bed.  In the 30s they had rape scenes.

:lol:

As I was watching I kept thinking that "Gone with the Wind" had an awful lot of rape and mutilation for a G rated film.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on July 23, 2014, 08:35:09 AM

:lol:

As I was watching I kept thinking that "Gone with the Wind" had an awful lot of rape and mutilation for a G rated film.

Ben-Hur has upper thigh massage. :(
Kinemalogue

FunkMonk

Xena: Warrior Princess is on Netflix  :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.