News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I was just thinking that some of Stiller's earlier films were decent then I realised I was thinking of Adam Sandler.
He did used to be rather good as far as the stupid side of comedy goes.

Quote from: Norgy on July 23, 2014, 05:05:06 PM
"Falling Skies" is so bad I can't stop watching. It's like a trainwreck wrapped in a trainwreck wrapped in a really bad car accident.

It seemed to be heading in such an awesome direction last series too.
I guess they couldn't get the budget for it. :(
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

I like Punch Drunk Love a lot, but I love most Paul Thomas Anderson films. I think Sandler's great in it, nonetheless.

The problem, I guess, is that every time Sandler's departed from his signature moronic comedies it hasn't worked too well, so ultimately he has stuck with the proven formula.

I thought 50 First Dates had a great premise, but the execution is meh.

mongers

I viewed it, wasn't so bad for light entertainment. Probably made watchable by the setting, Life magazine and photography.

Ben Stillers at his least annoying to date ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on July 24, 2014, 03:18:20 AM
I like Punch Drunk Love a lot, but I love most Paul Thomas Anderson films. I think Sandler's great in it, nonetheless.

The problem, I guess, is that every time Sandler's departed from his signature moronic comedies it hasn't worked too well, so ultimately he has stuck with the proven formula.

I don't think too many actors could've pulled off that character in Punch Drunk Love like Sandler did, though.

Habbaku

Punch Drunk Love is a work of genius.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

Good to see so much love for Punch Drunk Love on here, I thought that film slipped by mostly unnoticed.

Ideologue

I was complaining earlier today about how it hasn't been given a blu-ray release yet.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 24, 2014, 02:38:03 AM
My theory on Ben Stiller is that he was one of the attempts, engineered by the Jewish studio execs, to engineer a Jewish leading man.  Other notable failures are Leiv Schriber and that dude from Police Academy and the Stonecutters song.  Gutenberg, that's it.
Paul Newman, Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on July 24, 2014, 03:18:21 PM
Paul Newman, Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis?

If you're trying to create a Jewish leading man you don't change his name from Bernard Schwartz to Goy McShiksa.

celedhring

Paul Newman didn't change his name.

That's hardly a thing, anyway. Hosts of leading men have adopted stage names if their original names sounded too weird/exotic. North by Northwest starring Archibald Alexander Leach anyone?

Malthus

"Ben Stiller" isn't all that Jewish-sounding.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Malthus Ben-Gurion is a name you can trust for pharmaceutical regulatory advice.

Anyway:

Touch of Evil (1958).  Been trying to watch this for about the last fucking year, but it was always on a "very long wait" on Netflix, and the DVD is shit anyway.  That said, the movie's kind of great.

It's really weird to see a black and white movie from the 50s shot like this, though--it's camera movement and dutch angles, the motion picture.  Some of it is a little rough; mostly it's really neat.

They should show it at our illegal immigrant internment camps as a demotivator for ever coming back.  America is the worst in this movie.  Even the Evil Mexicans are, technically, Americans; and the only good guys who are not also stupid are the Jew and the foreigner in brownface. :D

A

P.S.: Vargas is way too fucking blase about the Grandes following his wife around.  It's a real problem.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on July 24, 2014, 04:28:44 PM
"Ben Stiller" isn't all that Jewish-sounding.  :hmm:

Usually when I google "jewish" public personalities their "anglo" sounding names sort of disappear e.g. Stan Lee = Stanley Lieber, Jon Stewart = Jonathan Liebowitz
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

Been awhile since I've been to the theater thanks to work, so I reviewed some older movies:

Victim (1961).   A groundbreaking mid-century treatment of oppressed homosexuality that would be all the more impressive in 2014 if it had used it as the thriller maguffin it so very much wants to be, rather than as the subject of far too many Star Trek: The Next Generation speeches, and without a Patrick Stewart anywhere in sight.

I don't care to join any sexual orientation that would have me as a member

B+

And, as previously informally reviewed, Design For Living (1933).   Daring, unconventional, and full of light and life, it might just be my favorite romantic comedy.

Chinese finger cuffs

A+  (it was already close, and was upgraded after watching the play and understanding better why certain third act problems exist, and what the alternative was)

I'm gonna try to see Lucy, DotPotA, Hercules, and maybe The Purge 2 over the long weekend.  Should be fun. :)
Kinemalogue