News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

War in the East

Started by Berkut, March 06, 2011, 01:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Berk, I'll have to make my move tomorrow - I put up the best player ever for trade in my online baseball league yesterday as he's too expensive for my club and I'm launching a rebuild, so I had to sift through a dozen of preliminary offers this evening.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

I can see where your priorities lie. :mad:
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

So, war proceeds on a similar chronological scale, then?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

PDH

Just as my game got good*, my opponent is away from his computer for a few days.  I hope this means he hasn't run off.  Apparantly the latest theme is that the Germans stand no chance in this game, and it is BORKEN!  (I think it just takes a lot longer to learn how to play the Germans properly - finesse vs a sledgehammer).

*good for me, as the Germans I managed to kinda close the Kiev Pocket in middle August.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

As Germans, finding the right balance for the various units' advance is tricky. Be too cautious and you get bogged down quickly. Drive your tanks too deep and they get cut off.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on March 11, 2011, 12:18:11 AM
Drive your tanks too deep and they get cut off.

Ruh roh. :cry:

0 rows returned

Berkut

Hmmm, just loaded up Turn 2 of the game against Syt.

1. How do I see a replay of his half of turn 1?
2. Where the fuck did the Russians go????

0 rows returned

PDH

You don't get a replay, you can see battle sites by hitting "f11"

He might be doing the "Comrade Robin-ski" tactic, to withdraw and set up a defense further inland.  Fly recon as far away as you can.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Quote from: PDH on March 11, 2011, 08:27:48 PM
You don't get a replay,

There's only so much basic functionality you can squeeze into a budget title like this one.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on March 12, 2011, 02:22:36 AM
Quote from: PDH on March 11, 2011, 08:27:48 PM
You don't get a replay,

There's only so much basic functionality you can squeeze into a budget title like this one.

I lol'ed.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Berkut, one hint about creating pockets: you don't need it an unbroken line of units to create one. Zone of Control counts towards it.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

You cut off me panzers and motorized divisions!

Although I think I have a pretty substantial pocket down in the south now. Not sure if that is really a good thing though - should I be focused on killing Russians or driving east and north? Who knows?

0 rows returned

PDH

Your goals should be destroying formations by surrounding them and forcing surrender.  It takes longer for these formations to be rebuilt, the manpower is gone, and you won't be facing the units route that get unrouted and rebuilt in a few weeks.

The Matrix forums has some good stuff on openings for the Germans - they are the harder side to play.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Syt

I'm by far no expert on the game, but the three turn Minsk scenario is a good primer on how to play the first turns as Germans, because you have to be ridiculously aggressive to reach all objectives. Germans can get as far as Minsk on turn one and pocket all units west of it. As said, you don't need a continuous line of units to create a pocket, which greatly aids - just make sure your advance doesn't get cut off. Also, pockets take a day to come into full effect. And if you know that units will be pocketed next turn, it makes sense to not attack them this turn, because you will wipe them up next turn, anyways. Attacking now would be a waste of resources.

I like your sweep into the Baltics, though. :)

As Soviet there's not much more to do in the first turns than trying to save as many units as possible while trying to build up a defense and choke points. Some people seem to favor a "checkerboard defense" of overlapping ZOCs, but though there's some arguments for them it feels a bit gamey.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Btw, I hooked up my old 1920x1200 screen to the laptop for this game ... much more playable than in 1366x768 (I had to hide the taskbar in that to see all). :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould