News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

War in the East

Started by Berkut, March 06, 2011, 01:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on December 09, 2011, 09:04:26 PM
What, really?  I mean, I can see requiring you to choose divisions to lose--iirc, this is basically how WitP did it with British recommitments to the Atlantic, you had to move ships back to Karachi or face... some sort of penalty, it never really mattered because I always won the war in thirty or forty days).  But just zapping them away--in 1941? to where? :unsure: were German units shorn off the Eastern Front to go to Serbia or something?--and without warning?  Bogus.

Rest and refit. Also the times when the SS stuff withrawals is when they were were upgunned. The 8th ss cav brigade leaves and I assume it becomes th FlorianGeyer cav division.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Actually, that seems like the sort of thing you should be able to manually control.  Huh.

I mean, if I want to run LSSAH into the ground till it's one guy with a broken leg in an obsolete tank that can't move, that's my business, not theirs.  I am: fuhrer.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on December 09, 2011, 09:50:21 PM
Actually, that seems like the sort of thing you should be able to manually control.  Huh.

I mean, if I want to run LSSAH into the ground till it's one guy with a broken leg in an obsolete tank that can't move, that's my business, not theirs.  I am: fuhrer.

dr. Strangelove just popped into my head. mein fuhrer, I can walk!

Drakken

Quote from: Ideologue on December 09, 2011, 09:50:21 PM

Well you are not Fuhrer, you are OKW. Hence why Fuhrer removes your toys from time to time, because they are needed elsewhere. Sadly, the same logic isn't kept on the Russian side since nothing forces the Russian player to waste valuable resources on insane counter-offensives and hopeless defensive lines.

That is also why the OOB is much less flexible on the German side than on the Russian one. If you didn't agree with Hitler, you got reassigned elsewhere. If you didn't agree with Stalin, you got whacked (unless you were Zhukov). STAVKA was much more of a Stalin hands-on control tool than the OKW, who got almost free reign on waging the war of annihilation except those times Hitler intervened punctually. Finally, as the Russian Red Army got nigh-on annihilated several times and have an immense reserve of manpower they could afford to recreate units and staff them ad hoc, while the Germans are stuck to play with what they've got until they win or get attrited out.

Ideologue

Somehow I think Hitler would be pretty receptive to arguments to effect that keeping x number of divisions in the line would win the war.

SUPER-CANNAE!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

The game misrepresents Hitler's genius.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 09, 2011, 09:26:37 PM
What, really?  I mean, I can see requiring you to choose divisions to lose--iirc, this is basically how WitP did it with British recommitments to the Atlantic, you had to move ships back to Karachi or face... some sort of penalty, it never really mattered because I always won the war in thirty or forty days).  But just zapping them away--in 1941? to where? :unsure: were German units shorn off the Eastern Front to go to Serbia or something?--and without warning?  Bogus.

Rest and refit. Also the times when the SS stuff withrawals is when they were were upgunned. The 8th ss cav brigade leaves and I assume it becomes th FlorianGeyer cav division.

Two questions:

What happens after 1945?  There aren't exactly a lot of German ORBATs for 1946.

What about brigades that were upgraded to division status but never actually reached division manpower levels?  Do they remain as brigades, or can you keep them off the line for a bit until they get enough reinforcements to actually make them a division?  Can Dirlwanger actually get his division?  An entire division of rapists and pedophiles...  Chris Hansen would have his work cut out for him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on December 10, 2011, 02:03:11 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 09, 2011, 09:26:37 PM

Two questions:

What about brigades that were upgraded to division status but never actually reached division manpower levels?  Do they remain as brigades, or can you keep them off the line for a bit until they get enough reinforcements to actually make them a division?  Can Dirlwanger actually get his division?  An entire division of rapists and pedophiles...  Chris Hansen would have his work cut out for him.

1) game ends

2) Don't know. I started the 44 scenario as the Russians, I'll see if the 36th SS shows up.

Drakken

Quote from: Razgovory on December 10, 2011, 02:03:11 AM

Basically if Berlin isn't in Russian hands by a certain date in 1945, Germany "wins" by doing better than the original.

Yes, there are VPs but no player really gives a damn about them.

Ed Anger

Hmmm. 44 scenario and turn 1 a kajillion panzer divisions pop up in AGC. MY BULLSHIT DETECTOR WENT OFF.

Berkut

I would not mind trying a PBEM game again...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Drakken

The problem with PBEM is that most German players will never continue passed 1942 when they haven't taken Moscow and the jig is up for them.

Admiral Yi

How much computer does this game require?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2011, 03:33:51 PM
How much computer does this game require?

Product Requirements :

Minimum Specs:
    CPU: 1.5GHz+
    RAM: 1GB
    Video Card: 128MB DirectX 9+ Compatible
    Sound Card: 16 bit DirectX 9+ Compatible
    Hard Drive Space: 1.5 GB Free
    DirectX 9.0c or higher

Recommended Specs:
    CPU: 2.0GHz+ (or multi-core equivalent)
    RAM: 2GB
    Video Card: 256MB DirectX 9+ Compatible
    Sound Card: 16 bit DirectX 9+ Compatible
    Hard Drive Space: 1.5 GB Free
    DirectX 9.0c or higher

My 6 core eats this fucker for breakfast and shits out numbers.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 09, 2011, 04:19:04 PM
I think I made way too many mistakes and and going to start a Russian game now. Ed Hitler is retired.
Was it the going for broke that did it, or something else? 198 Soviet divisions destroyed seems pretty good to me.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point