News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: mongers on August 28, 2011, 06:51:29 PM
Well I'm atomistic that they'll pull through.

If even a small proportion of the atrocity stories turn out to be true, then I think Cameron and Sarkozy  were right to intervene when they did to stop war crimes being committed in Benghazi.

That's not to say the rebels have committed summary executions, these terrible things happen in civil wars, but it seems to be the magnitude of, and deliberated nature of what the pro-Gaddafi forces have done to civilians in recent days, marks the regime out as worst offender.
Bah.  If you're under the impression that the rebels don't have a list of folks they're planning on slaughtering you're just naive.

Gaddafi's forces were absolutely right to use force against Benghazi.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Berkut on August 28, 2011, 10:06:46 PM
It is nice to see something turn out the way we hoped. It is far from perfect, but it could never have happened at all without US and European intervention.

Now we have to figure out how to help make an oil rich country into a functioning democracy, or something close to it. The track record is pretty terrible.
:rolleyes:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Zoupa

It is nice to see something turn out the way we hoped. It is far from perfect, but it could never have happened at all without US and European intervention.

I think you mean European and US intervention.

Neil

Quote from: Zoupa on August 28, 2011, 11:14:55 PM

Isn't it the same?

Zoupa

Quote from: Neil on August 28, 2011, 11:18:06 PM

Isn't it the same?

Comme dirait mon grand-père, on fait ce qu'on peut, mais il y a la manière.

Berkut

Believe me, I am all for the Euroes getting shit done. I would be even happier if was just "European intervention".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

citizen k

Martinus

Quote from: 11B4V on August 24, 2011, 11:57:01 PM
QuoteNTC leader: 'Free elections in eight months'

Will the civil war happen before or after these elections.

I don't think Libya has a basis for a civil war. It's tribal but not sectarian. It's not Iraq.

Martinus

Now we have to figure out how to help make an oil rich country into a functioning democracy, or something close to it. The track record is pretty terrible.

As long as we avoid the pitfalls and horrors of Texas, the example of Alberta or Norway is mildly encouraging.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2011, 08:57:30 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 28, 2011, 08:01:29 PM

Given the population of the country, 50,000 is a larger number than I anticipated though :(

Where'd you anticipate it from, your think tank command center?
Don't bitch at me 'cause you got stuck in one for the last two days.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on August 29, 2011, 01:27:56 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on August 24, 2011, 11:57:01 PM
QuoteNTC leader: 'Free elections in eight months'

Will the civil war happen before or after these elections.

I don't think Libya has a basis for a civil war. It's tribal but not sectarian. It's not Iraq.
I hope your right. I believe it when I see it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tamas

Apparently, most of Qaddafi's tribe is still fighting furiously against totally overwhelming odds. This is an indication that tribal divisions are more than enough to trigger civil war (also we have human history as an other indication for that).

As for democratizing, I was wondering about this in case of Afghanistan as well: why are we trying to enforce the exact kind of democracy the west had, which it had after half a millenia of vastly different route of advancement than them muslims? Why not try to come up with something like, say, a tribal federation, where the de facto senate would be tribal delegates or somesuch?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on August 29, 2011, 02:22:53 AM
Apparently, most of Qaddafi's tribe is still fighting furiously against totally overwhelming odds. This is an indication that tribal divisions are more than enough to trigger civil war (also we have human history as an other indication for that).

As for democratizing, I was wondering about this in case of Afghanistan as well: why are we trying to enforce the exact kind of democracy the west had, which it had after half a millenia of vastly different route of advancement than them muslims? Why not try to come up with something like, say, a tribal federation, where the de facto senate would be tribal delegates or somesuch?

If the tribes are geograhically concentrated, what's the difference?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 29, 2011, 01:35:02 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2011, 08:57:30 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 28, 2011, 08:01:29 PM

Given the population of the country, 50,000 is a larger number than I anticipated though :(

Where'd you anticipate it from, your think tank command center?
Don't bitch at me 'cause you got stuck in one for the last two days.

It's more of a lair.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2011, 03:39:50 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 29, 2011, 02:22:53 AM

If the tribes are geograhically concentrated, what's the difference?

The traditional tribal leaderships wouldn't feel threatened?