News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Mr.Penguin

Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Mr.Penguin

Unconfirmed news: It looks like the pro- Gaddafi Bab al-Azizia compound is going to be the Reichstag of this battle. At the same time has Gaddafi younger son Khamis has risen from his grave* and is reorganizing the remains of the elite 32nd brigade for a counter attack to the east of Tripoli...

Looks more and like something out of the movie "Der untergang"...

*he has been declared dead at least 3 time the last couple of months...

Martinus

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on August 22, 2011, 08:17:00 AM
Unconfirmed news: It looks like the pro- Gaddafi Bab al-Azizia compound is going to be the Reichstag of this battle. At the same time has Gaddafi younger son Khamis has risen from his grave* and is reorganizing the remains of the elite 32nd brigade for a counter attack to the east of Tripoli...

Looks more and like something out of the movie "Der untergang"...

*he has been declared dead at least 3 time the last couple of months...

Will the defenses of the fortress be breached by: shai huluds? :nerd:

DGuller

KRonn

Tripoli fell fast, didn't it? Only earlier in the weekend, the Rebels hadn't yet approached the city, from what I understand in the news. But I assume that those stil loyal to the regime became fewer and fewer, so that there weren't many to oppose the Rebels, outside of the last compound area. So there wasn't much to oppose the Rebel advance. Seems events progressed as some said, that it just took time for the Rebels to get better trained, equipped, and to better coordinate with NATO air power. Not that this was necessarily at a long stand still.

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: KRonn on August 22, 2011, 09:10:39 AM
Tripoli fell fast, didn't it? Only earlier in the weekend, the Rebels hadn't yet approached the city, from what I understand in the news. But I assume that those stil loyal to the regime became fewer and fewer, so that there weren't many to oppose the Rebels, outside of the last compound area. So there wasn't much to oppose the Rebel advance. Seems events progressed as some said, that it just took time for the Rebels to get better trained, equipped, and to better coordinate with NATO air power. Not that this was necessarily at a long stand still.

Better coordinated, do I think is the key word here...

mongers

Reports in the last hour of NATO airstrikes on Gaddafi's compound.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

Matthew Chance of CNN is saying he just had a chat with Saif Gaddafi, who was never captured at all and spent the evening in a convoy traveling around Tripoli. Now he's hanging out at the Rixos.

http://twitter.com/#!/mchancecnn

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

That's some wonderful work by the ICC.  :rolleyes:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 22, 2011, 07:11:21 PM
Matthew Chance of CNN is saying he just had a chat with Saif Gaddafi, who was never captured at all and spent the evening in a convoy traveling around Tripoli. Now he's hanging out at the Rixos.

http://twitter.com/#!/mchancecnn

Yep, he's just done a brief interview with the bbc at the gaddafi HQ or possibly that hotel.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Not that rebel claims aren't often full of BS, but how do we know this CNN guy isn't being told to say that at gunpoint by the Gadhafists who are still controlling that hotel? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

I am going to laugh my ass off when Mummar and his boys re-emerge in Sirte.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

So Saif hasn:t been captured then....hmm....
Doubles? Or just lies?

With the conflicting claims on control I suspect either side actually controls 20% or so with the rest being unoccupied by either so both assume they are naturally on their side.
██████
██████
██████