News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Somebody needs to explain to these people that bullets do actually come back down.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 23, 2011, 06:28:45 PM
Somebody needs to explain to these people that bullets do actually come back down.
:lol: I was thinking that earlier today.  I seem to recall that back when the good people of Baghdad were told about Saddam's capture, there was so much celebratory fire that like 20 people were killed from the falling bullets.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

it is only muslims. No biggie.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on August 23, 2011, 06:32:37 PM
:lol: I was thinking that earlier today.  I seem to recall that back when the good people of Baghdad were told about Saddam's capture, there was so much celebratory fire that like 20 people were killed from the falling bullets.

17 people died the day Kuwait City was liberated back in GW1.  Morons.  Safer to hit shit with their sandals and insult each others' mustaches.

Caliga

I just watched the Sky News interview with the dude who stole all of Gadhafi's bling.  Looked hilarious in Gadhafi's cap and gold chains and carrying his sceptre. :lol:

Josquius

This interview I have to see. Sounds funny
██████
██████
██████

Habsburg

Quote from: Caliga on August 23, 2011, 09:05:56 PM
I just watched the Sky News interview with the dude who stole all of Gadhafi's bling.  Looked hilarious in Gadhafi's cap and gold chains and carrying his sceptre. :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Gadhafi left Gold behind!?!

Razgovory

Yes, but they don't come back down at velocities that are typically fatal.  Fatalities caused by celebratory gunfire usually occur when someone doesn't shoot straight up, but instead hits something that ricochets back into someone.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I wonder where he is.  I'd like to think he saddled up a camel and rode off into the desert, to return sometime when his country needs him most.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Razgovory on August 23, 2011, 11:56:55 PM
I wonder where he is.  I'd like to think he saddled up a camel and rode off into the desert, to return sometime when his country needs him most.

Gaddaffi, Once and Future Colonel!

jimmy olsen

Here's hoping.  :)
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/08/201182493131161406.html

QuoteNTC leader: 'Free elections in eight months'
Mustafa Abdel Jalil promises to end Libya's isolation and build "strong relations with other countries".
Last Modified: 24 Aug 2011 11:10

The leader of Libya's National Transitional Council (NTC) has said the new government will hold free elections within eight months and pledged to put Muammar Gaddafi on trial in the country rather than an international court.

In comments published on Wednesday in Italy's La Repubblica newspaper, rebel leader Mustafa Abdel Jalil also promised to open Libya up to the outside world and build "strong relations with other countries".

"In eight months we will hold legislative and presidential elections," said Jalil, chairman of the NTC which now
controls all but isolated pockets of the oil-rich state.

"We want a democratic government and a just constitution. Above all we do not wish to continue to be isolated in the world as we have been up to now," he told the newspaper.

The announcement was praised on Wednesday in Tripoli, where Al Jazeera correspondent Evan Hill spoke to locals about the prospect of free elctions after Gaddafi's more than 40 years in power.

"We are going to buil a new country with the law and with discipline," said Mahmoud Ashour, a 58-year-old shop owner.

Yet Ashour does anticipate a challenging transition to democracy.

"We will have a problem rebuilding. Why? Because the people are not really educated. They don't know about political parties. They haven't had a chance to live in a world with multiple political parties."

"Hopefully this transitional period will eb safe, without blood," he added.

Gaddafi's whereabouts remained unknown on Wednesday after the rebels had overrun his Tripoli compound, but Jalil said he and his inner circle should be captured alive and stand trial in Libya.

"The Gaddafi era is over, even if it will only really end with his capture and his conviction for the crimes he has committed."

The consensus within the NTC was that Gaddafi and his cohorts ishould be judged "in a fair trial, but it must take place in Libya", Jalil told the newspaper.

For that to happen "we need to take them alive and treat them differently from the way the colonel treated his adversaries. He will stay in the memory only for the crimes, the arrests and the political assassinations he carried out", he added.

After a six-month uprising against Gaddafi, who ruled over Libya for 42 years, there were only "pockets of resistance" left in Tripoli, and his troops has retreated to Gaddafi's stronghold port city of Sirte, Jalil said.

He said the "new" Libya "must be a different country from the past, based on the principles of freedom, equality and fraternity," and will have "strong relations with other countries, based on mutual respect and cooperation".

"We will be an active member of the international community and we will respect the treaties signed in the past," he said.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

QuoteNTC leader: 'Free elections in eight months'

Will the civil war happen before or after these elections.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on August 23, 2011, 09:05:56 PM
I saw what must be the same guy, on CNN I think it was. Had Gadhafi's hat, a big necklace or two. This guy was in a t-shirt I think.

Caliga