And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on March 18, 2011, 10:48:41 AM
Quote from: Caliga on March 18, 2011, 10:39:49 AM
Apparently, despite Moosa Caboosa's announcement, Gadhafi's forces are still trying to storm Misrata.  France to the rescue? :)

Cry havoc! And let slip the frogs of war.
Brilliant! :D
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza2

Quote from: KRonn on March 18, 2011, 09:50:49 AM
QuoteThe abstentions came from China, Russia, Germany, India, and Brazil. Germany said it was concerned about a protracted military conflict. China said it opposes the use of armed force in international relations.
I don't get the position of the German government in this issue. Why do we join the BRICs and Lybia instead of our NATO partners? Now Germany doesn't just let its allies fight alone, but even abandons them in diplomacy? It's not like we would have contributed meaningfully in a military intervention anyway, but why can't we at least join the rest of the West in the UN? :huh: :rolleyes:

KRonn

Quote from: Berkut on March 18, 2011, 10:16:04 AM
Quote from: citizen k on March 18, 2011, 10:02:31 AM
Quote from: Josephus on March 18, 2011, 08:58:16 AM
But they're not going to do that unless Gadaffi's elite units take to the sky. This is a no-fly zone, not intervention.

Any unit that is a threat to the civilian population is fair game.

Which pretty much means any unit anywhere at any time.

I am frankly very surprised that such an open ended resolution passed.

Interesting to see what Qaddafi does. I am not buying his "immediate cease fire" talk. Although it would be pretty awesome (and not just for Libya) if the threat of UN action causes him to just decide "fuck it, I think I will retire to Monaco..."
There had to be a lot of back channel discussions to get nations to abstain, and allow this to pass. Then for a rather open ended resolution.  So I'm thinking of what other motives, or plans, might be in the works with allowing such an open deal.     :hmm:

MadImmortalMan

WOLF BLITZER, HOST:  We only have a minute left.  So let me do a few political questions and then I'll let you go. You can give me short answers.

HILLARY CLINTON, SECRETARY OF STATE:  I'm out of politics, you know, Wolf.

BLITZER:  You can give me short answers if you want.

(LAUGHTER)

BLITZER:  Well, you're not really political.

If the president is reelected, do you want to serve a second term as Secretary of State?

CLINTON:  No.

BLITZER:  Would you like to serve as Secretary of Defense?

BLITZER:  Would you like to be Vice President of the United States?

(LAUGHTER)

BLITZER:  Would you like to be President of the United States?

hmmm
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Darth Wagtaros

She knows the world will be ending and has been promised a part in the Anti-Christ's regime. You heard it here folks.
PDH!

Caliga

He forgot to ask about Attorney General. :rolleyes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

As if Hillary would choose Wolf Blitzer's show as a platform for her next political role. :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Legbiter

Where's the killing, the mass bombardment of military infrastructure. Where's my tv shock & awe. :mad:

Obama's all like...restore electricity...or face the consequences.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Ed Anger

BBC sez RAF deploying 9 and 31 squadrons.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Quote from: Legbiter on March 18, 2011, 05:10:03 PM
Where's the killing, the mass bombardment of military infrastructure. Where's my tv shock & awe. :mad:

Obama's all like...restore electricity...or face the consequences.

America is all mellow now man.

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 18, 2011, 05:10:46 PM

Canada is deploying a half dozen CF-18s.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on March 18, 2011, 05:16:07 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 18, 2011, 05:10:46 PM

Canada is deploying a half dozen CF-18s.

Don't strain yourself Canucks.

Legbiter

So...how is this going to play out?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

DGuller

Hopefully in some way that includes lots of explosions.  CNN really deserves a ratings boost.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Legbiter on March 18, 2011, 05:25:22 PM
So...how is this going to play out?
My guess is ground strikes only in response to provocations from Gaddafi.  He tries to cut off food shipments to Benghazi, those guys get wacked.  Some other hamlet rises up, he moves to suppress, those guys get wacked.  So he ends up hunkering down in Tripoli.  Then God knows what.  Rebels trained by the SAS, armed by the Egyptians and assisted by Egyptian "volunteers" go on the offensive?  Stalemate?