News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on March 18, 2011, 10:16:04 AM
I am frankly very surprised that such an open ended resolution passed.
The UN has been pretty good on this.  The ICC investigation was ordered very soon as were pretty comprehensive sanctions and the, as you say, surprisingly open-ended resolution.

I'm intrigued by the US role in this.  The first I heard of anything more than a no-fly zone was Susan Rice a couple of days ago which suggested something shifted either in the US administration or in negotiations.  I'm not clear at all what happened.

QuoteInteresting to see what Qaddafi does. I am not buying his "immediate cease fire" talk. Although it would be pretty awesome (and not just for Libya) if the threat of UN action causes him to just decide "fuck it, I think I will retire to Monaco..."
This is something I find really interesting is the balance of creating a system of international justice that punishes war crimes and crimes against humanity against no longer being able to offer the world's tyrants a comfortable birth in Monte Carlo.  I think I favour the former.  It is better that Charles Taylor is being prosecuted and can't chill in Lagos, or convert to Islam and get a poolside seat in Jeddah, but it's a problem with international law that it can end up endangering civilians even more.

QuoteWhy would Libya call a ceasefire now? On the one hand, if he's winning, you wouldn't think Qaddafi would give up; on the other hand, if he's afraid of losing, you wouldn't think he'd be rational enough to quit, especially without trying to call the West's bluff.
He's wily and, despite all appearances to the consequence, not mad.

QuoteSarko is a Jew?  Who leads France?  Are you sure about this?
First Jewish President (Jewish like Disraeli), but they've had two Jewish Premiers (Jewish like Ben Gurion) back when the Prime Minister mattered more than the President.

QuoteHis father was a Hungarian, his mother was a (french?) jew.
I think she's Franco-Greek.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2011, 06:51:02 PM
QuoteWhy would Libya call a ceasefire now? On the one hand, if he's winning, you wouldn't think Qaddafi would give up; on the other hand, if he's afraid of losing, you wouldn't think he'd be rational enough to quit, especially without trying to call the West's bluff.
He's wily and, despite all appearances to the consequence, not mad.

I read a piece recently that said while he's not delusional, did argue he could be I think suffering from borderline personality.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 18, 2011, 05:17:37 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 18, 2011, 05:16:07 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 18, 2011, 05:10:46 PM
BBC sez RAF deploying 9 and 31 squadrons.

Canada is deploying a half dozen CF-18s.

Don't strain yourself Canucks.

:lol:

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Iroquois-class Destroyer!"

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on March 18, 2011, 01:39:55 PM
He forgot to ask about Attorney General. :rolleyes:

And the Supreme Court. The last refuge of Papism in the US needs protestant blood.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

That's the version with the bacon fryer in the cockpit EH?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Darth Wagtaros

:mad:
Quote from: Viking on March 18, 2011, 07:31:13 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 18, 2011, 01:39:55 PM
He forgot to ask about Attorney General. :rolleyes:

And the Supreme Court. The last refuge of Papism in the US needs protestant blood.
PDH!

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 18, 2011, 06:56:08 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 18, 2011, 05:17:37 PM

Don't strain yourself Canucks.

:lol:

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Iroquois-class Destroyer!"

Actually we sent a Halifax class frigate as well. :canuck:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Zanza2 on March 18, 2011, 12:44:32 PM
Quote from: KRonn on March 18, 2011, 09:50:49 AM
QuoteThe abstentions came from China, Russia, Germany, India, and Brazil. Germany said it was concerned about a protracted military conflict. China said it opposes the use of armed force in international relations.
I don't get the position of the German government in this issue. Why do we join the BRICs and Lybia instead of our NATO partners? Now Germany doesn't just let its allies fight alone, but even abandons them in diplomacy? It's not like we would have contributed meaningfully in a military intervention anyway, but why can't we at least join the rest of the West in the UN? :huh: :rolleyes:
Qadaffi even bombed a Berlin disco didn't he? No lingering feelings over that?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 18, 2011, 08:21:31 PM
A GI hangout disco.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 18, 2011, 08:23:49 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 18, 2011, 08:21:31 PM
A GI hangout disco.
180 Germans were wounded
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josephus

Anybody caught in a disco post 1979 deserves that.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Mr.Penguin

From Benghazi...

A Libyan Mig-23 shot down over the Benghazi airport, pilot ejecting some 40-50m over the ground. The Soviet's may not always have made the best planes, but their ejection seats has always been the best...  :thumbsup:

edit: fund a better picture
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

MadBurgerMaker

Mr.Penguin

Anyway, it looks like the pro- daffy troops  are making a mad dash at Benghazi before International pressure forces them to stop. It's unlikely that they will try and take the city it self, but are going for the airport and the main road to Tubruk in an attempt to isolate Benghazi...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Viking

I hate it when idiot journalists refer to SP Art, IFV's, APC's or Light Armour as "Tanks". It just shows their own ignorance and incompetence in assessing the nature of military equipment. So when I saw this nice pic in profile claiming it is a fighter I just had to look up the profile of the SU-24, the MiG-23 and the Mig-27. Unfortunately for my smug self image it was actually a MiG-23 fighter.

BTW, I'm staying up tonight to watch the start of the Second Air Campaign against the Locals in Libya.