House Passes Puerto Rican Statehood Plebiscite

Started by jimmy olsen, April 29, 2010, 07:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on April 29, 2010, 11:39:20 PM
Can't we put all the friendly Ricans in boats, nuke Puerto Rico and then sink the boats?
:yes:  The best thing about this plan is that it would require no boats!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Alatriste

Quote from: The Larch on April 30, 2010, 05:51:58 AM
Quote from: Palisadoes on April 30, 2010, 05:44:32 AM
What about giving it back to Spain?

Doesn't seem like a good deal, I think we'll pass.  :P

Come on, Larchie, you know we will need a suitable base to reconquer Cuba when Fidel buys the farm. Besides Puerto Rico doesn't look so bad, its GNP per capita is roughly equivalent to Poland's or Hungary's... oops!

Razgovory

It would raise the collective intelligence of the US and Spain.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Quote from: Alatriste on April 30, 2010, 06:34:50 AM

Come on, Larchie, you know we will need a suitable base to reconquer Cuba when Fidel buys the farm. Besides Puerto Rico doesn't look so bad, its GNP per capita is roughly equivalent to Poland's or Hungary's... oops!

I wouldn't take Poland or Hungary either. Only their women. :perv:

jimmy olsen

Nominal GDP per capita is between the 33rd and 32nd country according to the CIA factbook and is higher than South Korea. That's a first world country.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29_per_capita#cite_note-2
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Larch

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 30, 2010, 06:53:03 AM

Nominal GDP per capita is between the 33rd and 32nd country according to the CIA factbook and is higher than South Korea. That's a first world country.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29_per_capita#cite_note-2

Nobody denies it, but it's still well below the Spanish average. ;) It would be in the bottom end of regions in Spain, only ahead of the poorer ones.

Razgovory

The Larch

Quote from: Razgovory on April 30, 2010, 07:01:13 AM
Are the poor parts of Spain near Portugal?

Yup, the poorest parts of Spain, Andalucía and Extremadura, both border Portugal. Galicia and Castilla y León, the other two regions that border Portugal, are not that well off either.

PDH

Quote from: The Larch on April 30, 2010, 07:07:18 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 30, 2010, 07:01:13 AM
Are the poor parts of Spain near Portugal?

Yup, the poorest parts of Spain, Andalucía and Extremadura, both border Portugal. Galicia and Castilla y León, the other two regions that border Portugal, are not that well off either.

:( Portuguese rape economy
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 29, 2010, 07:37:22 PM
Although now that I think about it "sovereignty in association with the United States" and "the current commonwealth relationship" is likely to split the anti-statehood vote enough to allow it to win. Though of course, given that last poll I saw Statehood would beat either option in a straight up fight.

The very fact they elected the progressive party signals to me they are ready to vote for statehood anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on April 29, 2010, 08:43:02 PM
What is "sovereignty in association with the US"?

A non-option IMO.

Our territories need to either be made into or incorporated into States or let go.  The territory designation is antiquated and left over from the frontier/colonial days and unless we plan on opening up places like Guam and Puetro Rico for settlement decisions have to be made about their future in the United States.  They either need to be allowed to join or allowed to leave.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on April 30, 2010, 06:11:08 AM
Quote from: The Brain on April 29, 2010, 11:39:20 PM
Can't we put all the friendly Ricans in boats, nuke Puerto Rico and then sink the boats?
:yes:  The best thing about this plan is that it would require no boats!

Could we use Incan Torpedo Boats?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 30, 2010, 08:09:20 AM
Portugal radiates FAIL. :weep:

So hopefully they will decide to become an independent crappy nation.  Then Lettow will celebrate their freedom from Yankee imperialism.