House Passes Puerto Rican Statehood Plebiscite

Started by jimmy olsen, April 29, 2010, 07:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I'm surprised at the form the 2nd referendum takes. If I were the Dems I would make it just two options; Independence or Statehood. Statehood would crush Independence in that circumstance and the Dems would get another slate of Democratic (though perhaps culturally conservative) House members.

Although now that I think about it "sovereignty in association with the United States" and "the current commonwealth relationship" is likely to split the anti-statehood vote enough to allow it to win. Though of course, given that last poll I saw Statehood would beat either option in a straight up fight.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1985875,00.html

The poll I mentioned
http://www.prstatehood.com/news/poll_071408.pdf

(WASHINGTON) — The House has approved legislation that could set in motion changes in Puerto Rico's 112-year relationship with the United States, including a transition to statehood or independence.

The bill gives Puerto Ricans a two-step path to expressing how they envision their political future.

Initially, they would choose between remaining a U.S. territory or taking a different path.

If they decide to change their current status, there would be a second vote with four options: statehood, independence, sovereignty in association with the United States or the current commonwealth relationship.

Puerto Rico has had votes before on its future, but never one authorized by the U.S. Congress.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

The options, IMO, should be:

A. Independence
B. Statehood
C. Tainted
D. Absolutely Appalled

:hug:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

My view

1. Relieving Gringo of the burden of supporting Puerto Rico (Independence)
2. Continue sucking on the Gringo money tit (Statehood)
3. Jaron (No Change)

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 29, 2010, 07:46:04 PM
The options, IMO, should be:

A. Independence
B. Statehood
C. Tainted
D. Absolutely Appalled

:hug:

E. Tim expelled from the United States
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

What is "sovereignty in association with the US"?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on April 29, 2010, 08:43:02 PM

Like a halfway measure between the current system and full independence.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 29, 2010, 08:44:51 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 29, 2010, 08:43:02 PM

Like a halfway measure between the current system and full independence.

How exactly does that work in practice?  Like, Hong Kong?   :lol:

alfred russel

I thought the current setup PR gets is the best--no federal income taxes but they get all sorts of subsidies. Become a state and become taxed normally, become independent and lose the subsidies.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Fate

Puerto Rico should only be allowed to become a state if English is the sole official language of the state.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

lustindarkness

Are the dems so desperate? They are trying to force the issue in hopes they get some more dems in congress/senate, what if they don't?
BTW, with the way the local politics have been going lately, why would they want crooks in congress? Oh, yeah, never mind on that one.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom