House Passes Puerto Rican Statehood Plebiscite

Started by jimmy olsen, April 29, 2010, 07:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 29, 2010, 09:20:30 PM
Are the dems so desperate? They are trying to force the issue in hopes they get some more dems in congress/senate, what if they don't?
BTW, with the way the local politics have been going lately, why would they want crooks in congress? Oh, yeah, never mind on that one.

Why are Republicans so afraid of brown people? Oh yeah...

Faeelin

Are the dems so desperate? They are trying to force the issue in hopes they get some more dems in congress/senate, what if they don't?

I don't know what this even means. Why shouldn't Puerto Ricans get to vote on their future? We took em by force in 1898, kept em as a territory without statehood since then, and now people are worried they'll want to join us?

jimmy olsen

From the pro-article I linked above
QuoteRepublicans who are afraid that Puerto Rico might send only Democrats to Congress might check their concerns with the island's governor, Luis Fortuño, a speaker at the 2008 GOP convention. Fortuño is a not only a Reagan conservative who has been elected island-wide twice in the last five years — in 2008, he was elected by 225,000 votes, the biggest margin of electoral victory in 44 years. While mainland Republicans struggled in '08, the GOP bucked the tide in Puerto Rico, with victories that included the governor's seat, president of the Senate, speaker of the House, Senate majority leader, mayor of San Juan, and a majority of mayors in the 78 municipalities, as well as the majority of state legislators throughout the island. These results are no surprise. Polls tell us that 78 percent of the island's residents are pro-life; 86 percent say prayer should be allowed in schools; 75 percent say displaying the Ten Commandments on government property should be allowed; a majority supports vouchers for private schools. An overwhelming majority of Puerto Rican citizens embrace socially conservative values.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Fate

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 29, 2010, 09:27:41 PM

From the pro-article I linked above
QuoteRepublicans who are afraid that Puerto Rico might send only Democrats to Congress might check their concerns with the island's governor, Luis Fortuño, a speaker at the 2008 GOP convention. Fortuño is a not only a Reagan conservative who has been elected island-wide twice in the last five years — in 2008, he was elected by 225,000 votes, the biggest margin of electoral victory in 44 years. While mainland Republicans struggled in '08, the GOP bucked the tide in Puerto Rico, with victories that included the governor's seat, president of the Senate, speaker of the House, Senate majority leader, mayor of San Juan, and a majority of mayors in the 78 municipalities, as well as the majority of state legislators throughout the island. These results are no surprise. Polls tell us that 78 percent of the island's residents are pro-life; 86 percent say prayer should be allowed in schools; 75 percent say displaying the Ten Commandments on government property should be allowed; a majority supports vouchers for private schools. An overwhelming majority of Puerto Rican citizens embrace socially conservative values.

They're socially conservative and fiscally liberal, just like most Republicans.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Monoriu on April 29, 2010, 08:46:20 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 29, 2010, 08:44:51 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 29, 2010, 08:43:02 PM
What is "sovereignty in association with the US"?

Like a halfway measure between the current system and full independence.

How exactly does that work in practice?  Like, Hong Kong?   :lol:

Probably like Micronesia and those other islands- independent, but in a "Compact of Free Association" with the US. In other words, we give them money and support, and they let us use them for military bases or whatever.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Jaron

Republican values would echo well in a lot of Hispanic communities if they'd pick their battles on immigration more wisely. Obviously its an issue that needs to be addressed, but the shock n' awe method they've been using is going to solidify that entire voting bloc as a Democratic stronghold.

For shame, GOP. Only that corrupt party could send a mass of conservative, anti-gay, anti-abortion voters into the arms of the most liberal and shameful political party in the history of this nation.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Brain

Can't we put all the friendly Ricans in boats, nuke Puerto Rico and then sink the boats?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Faeelin on April 29, 2010, 09:25:22 PM
I don't know what this even means. Why shouldn't Puerto Ricans get to vote on their future? We took em by force in 1898, kept em as a territory without statehood since then, and now people are worried they'll want to join us?

I thought it was the case that Puerto Ricans didn't want to become a state. As AR pointed out, the best situation for them is the current one.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

If it becomes a state I wonder if it could set a prescdent for more Spanish speaking in the existing states with large Hispanic minorities.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on April 30, 2010, 12:59:55 AM
If it becomes a state I wonder if it could set a prescdent for more Spanish speaking in the existing states with large Hispanic minorities.

What exactly are you thinking?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2010, 01:01:26 AM

What exactly are you thinking?

Fate

New Mexico is already contemplating making Spanish an official language. I'm sure GOPtards will try to excise it from the Union, but change is a coming.

The Brain

jimmy olsen

How?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point