House Passes Puerto Rican Statehood Plebiscite

Started by jimmy olsen, April 29, 2010, 07:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 30, 2010, 01:21:23 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 30, 2010, 12:59:55 AM
If it becomes a state I wonder if it could set a prescdent for more Spanish speaking in the existing states with large Hispanic minorities.
How?
What Fate says.
It becoming an offical language and all that.
It replacing English is only for the far fetched xenophobic rantings of right wing nutters (....probally....kinda....) but co-equal I could see and having a Spanish speaking state would help.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on April 30, 2010, 01:57:30 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 30, 2010, 01:21:23 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 30, 2010, 12:59:55 AM
If it becomes a state I wonder if it could set a prescdent for more Spanish speaking in the existing states with large Hispanic minorities.
How?
What Fate says.
It becoming an offical language and all that.
It replacing English is only for the far fetched xenophobic rantings of right wing nutters (....probally....kinda....) but co-equal I could see and having a Spanish speaking state would help.
Not really, the situation in Puerto Rico in no way will effect the actual lives of people on the mainland. They will be surrounded by English and will have to learn it in order to succeed. Making Puerto Rico a state will not make migrants on the mainland any more likely to hang on to Spanish.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 30, 2010, 02:11:48 AM
Not really, the situation in Puerto Rico in no way will effect the actual lives of people on the mainland. They will be surrounded by English and will have to learn it in order to succeed. Making Puerto Rico a state will not make migrants on the mainland any more likely to hang on to Spanish.
:unsure:
Nothing to do with what I said
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on April 30, 2010, 02:24:32 AM
You said

"If it becomes a state I wonder if it could set a prescdent for more Spanish speaking in the existing states with large Hispanic minorities."

I said no and explained why I think so. In what way was it unrelated to your statement?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 30, 2010, 02:27:10 AM
You said

"If it becomes a state I wonder if it could set a prescdent for more Spanish speaking in the existing states with large Hispanic minorities."

I said no and explained why I think so. In what way was it unrelated to your statement?
You were on about individual people chosing to speak Spanish or English. Which yeah, I don't see how Puerto Rico would change much- though that they have to learn English due to being surrounded by it...not from what I hear in many areas

I was on about states giving more official recognition to those who do speak Spanish and Spanish becoming a official language.
Having a state with Spanish as its first language will help those who want Spanish as a extra second language in their state as its already established that it won't lead to the collapse of civilization, things will work in coordination with the rest of the country, etc...
██████
██████
██████

citizen k

Quote from: Tamas on April 30, 2010, 01:24:59 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 29, 2010, 08:43:02 PM
What is "sovereignty in association with the US"?

A colony, like now

Puerto Ricans have colonized the mainland.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on April 30, 2010, 02:30:00 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 30, 2010, 02:27:10 AM
You said

You were on about individual people chosing to speak Spanish or English. Which yeah, I don't see how Puerto Rico would change much- though that they have to learn English due to being surrounded by it...not from what I hear in many areas

I was on about states giving more official recognition to those who do speak Spanish and Spanish becoming a official language.
Having a state with Spanish as its first language will help those who want Spanish as a extra second language in their state as its already established that it won't lead to the collapse of civilization, things will work in coordination with the rest of the country, etc...
"more spanish speaking" is written so that it refers to individuals.

You heard wrong, every Puerto Rican born in the states that I know speaks English well enough to function in society.

I hardly see how Puerto Rico's example is going to sway people in other mainland states. There are obvious historical differences and reasons for Spanish to be one of the official languages of Puerto Rico and they're not transferable.

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Palisadoes

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Quote from: Palisadoes on April 30, 2010, 05:44:32 AM
What about giving it back to Spain?

Doesn't seem like a good deal, I think we'll pass.  :P

The Brain

Quote from: Palisadoes on April 30, 2010, 05:44:32 AM
What about giving it back to Spain?
:mad:

Sink me the ship, Master Gunner. Sink her, split her in twain!
Fall into the hands of God, not into the hands of Spain.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.