News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Started by jimmy olsen, April 27, 2010, 01:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

I wanna see one about George washington's Continental Army being infected with lycanthropy and spreading the disease world wide, eventually leading to a show down in Mecca with an aged Oliver Twist's freedom fighters.
PDH!

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 27, 2010, 09:58:12 PM
Honestly, it's hard enough coming up with a storyline that's somewhat original, a writer can hardly be expected to come up with a unique *type* of story.
They can but its hard.
And then harder again for said new type of story to be accepted and published.

The 20th century being full of new genres....maybe its a case of everything has already been invented?- not literally of course but to quite a degree.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

What I hope hope happens to purchasers of this drek.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on April 28, 2010, 08:50:40 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 28, 2010, 08:41:03 AM
I don't know about that.  The 20th century was full of new genres.
Depending on what you call a genre, I suppose you are correct.  Let me change that to "decade or so" then.  :P
I can accept that.

I would consider sci-fi, space opera, cyberpunk, post-apocalyptic, super-hero and high fantasy to be fiction genres spawned out of the 20th century, although I suppose one could group them all under an 'adventure' genre.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Neil on April 28, 2010, 11:08:34 AM
I would consider sci-fi, space opera, cyberpunk, post-apocalyptic, super-hero and high fantasy to be fiction genres spawned out of the 20th century, although I suppose one could group them all under an 'adventure' genre.

Most of those genres can be found in the Odyssey.  In truth, there haven't been any new genres in a few thousand years.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 28, 2010, 12:52:42 PM

Most of those genres can be found in the Odyssey.  In truth, there haven't been any new genres in a few thousand years.

Found!?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

I was thinking just fantasy (SF existed in the 19th C) , but after reflection concluded you were right.  Cyberpunk, e.g., really was a genre, not a sub-genre.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

frunk

Now I want to see the Odyssey redone as Cyberpunk.

Malthus

Quote from: frunk on April 28, 2010, 02:42:29 PM

What is odd is how little you'd have to change. Aside from adding computers, that is.

Thing is, the ancient Greeks had those, too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

:D

[Yes I know it is not the of the same era as the late Mycenaen. So sue me.] 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Well Snow Crash had Sumerian programmers in it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Quote from: frunk on April 28, 2010, 02:42:29 PM

Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of Doritos on which a slender programming manual and a list of passwords lay crossed. A yellow bathrobe, unfasted, was was sustained gently behind him on the stale morning air. He held his hand aloft to the color of a television tuned to a dead channel sky and intoned:

—Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,.

Halted, he peered down the dark winding stairs and called out coarsely:

—Come up, Kinch! Come up, you fearful cyborg!

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 28, 2010, 12:52:42 PM
I must have missed the part where Odysseus battled the Cyberspace Klingons.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Neil