Main Menu

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Started by jimmy olsen, April 27, 2010, 01:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 27, 2010, 08:17:20 AM
Your Honor, exhibit #598 of why Tim needs to be punched in the nuts repeatedly

Hear, hear!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on April 27, 2010, 11:54:51 AM
Abe Lincoln vs. vampires actually sounds like it would work very well as an allegory -- vampires being parasites who survive off of the life energy of others.

Then there could be a sequel: Vladimir Lenin vs. Vampires.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

:bleeding:

Goddammit Tim.  I couldn't stand this sort of overclever thing when it was just the one book.  Now that the bandwagon is being jumped on by every second-rate hack, I refuse to pay any attention to this crap.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2010, 11:45:56 AM
[

Philip Jose farmer did all of this stuff much better than the modern writers, back in the 1960s and 1970s.

I wish a omnibus of the Riverworld novels was shoved up Tim's ass.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 27, 2010, 06:11:49 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 27, 2010, 02:46:52 AM
The reviews have been great, even the Abraham Lincoln blog liked it. Tim Burton has already optioned the film rights.

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Jaron

Tim Burton hasn't made a good movie since Mars Attacks!
Winner of THE grumbler point.

sbr

Quote from: Jaron on April 27, 2010, 07:01:23 PM
Tim Burton hasn't made a good movie since Mars Attacks!

I love that movie.  :lol:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 27, 2010, 06:47:12 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 27, 2010, 06:11:49 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 27, 2010, 02:46:52 AM
The reviews have been great, even the Abraham Lincoln blog liked it. Tim Burton has already optioned the film rights.

What are you eye bleeding about? :yeahright:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2010, 11:45:56 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 27, 2010, 09:41:15 AM
Boring.
Of course.  The Hack Attack follows every original idea and produces tons of boring unoriginal copies.  Happened to fantasy, happened to vampire novels, and now to the "unusual combo" genre.

Philip Jose farmer did all of this stuff much better than the modern writers, back in the 1960s and 1970s.

And that wasn't that good to begin with.  I think the original writers of the pulps and fantasy and sci-fi and weird fiction (1920's-1940's didn't really care that their works weren't taken seriously, and the next generation 1950's-1970's felt snubbed and strained to be respectable and deep, and current generation just wallows and celebrates it's hackery.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Honestly, it's hard enough coming up with a storyline that's somewhat original, a writer can hardly be expected to come up with a unique *type* of story.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 27, 2010, 09:58:12 PM
Honestly, it's hard enough coming up with a storyline that's somewhat original, a writer can hardly be expected to come up with a unique *type* of story.
:lmfao:  duh!  That's why we talk about "genre" books and movies and whatnot.  I don;'t know of anyone who "expects" a writer to come up with "a unique 'type' of story."  Whoever it is must be disappointed a lot, as there are about 4,000 books published per day in the world, and a new genre comes along once a century or so.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on April 28, 2010, 06:34:33 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 27, 2010, 09:58:12 PM
:lmfao:  duh!  That's why we talk about "genre" books and movies and whatnot.  I don;'t know of anyone who "expects" a writer to come up with "a unique 'type' of story."  Whoever it is must be disappointed a lot, as there are about 4,000 books published per day in the world, and a new genre comes along once a century or so.
I don't know about that.  The 20th century was full of new genres.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on April 28, 2010, 08:41:03 AM
I don't know about that.  The 20th century was full of new genres.
Depending on what you call a genre, I suppose you are correct.  Let me change that to "decade or so" then.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!