Congressman to Obama: Push immigration or I’ll tell Latino voters to stay home

Started by jimmy olsen, April 20, 2010, 08:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 21, 2010, 06:27:34 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2010, 05:56:35 PM
I don't see Obama as having deeply held views on immigration reform. 

The hell he doesn't.  He & other Dems see future Democrat voters when they look at illegal immigrants.  That's not to say he isn't pragmatic enough to try to placate the unions.

Rush tell you that?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 21, 2010, 08:05:54 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 21, 2010, 06:08:59 AM
"
"You went from a humanizing definition of the community to a criminalizing definition of the community," Gutierrez said."

But they are criminals.
If you believe a law is unjust, do you call those who break it criminals or victims?
I'd say that that is a ridiculous argument to make and the people who make comparisons to 'illegal immigrant' and 'nigger' are the scum of the earth.

Go tell someone who's spent years trying to become a legal resident or citizen that some asshole who is breaking the law to provide some other asshole with easily exploited cheap labor is a victim.
PDH!

Faeelin

The hell he doesn't.  He & other Dems see future Democrat voters when they look at illegal immigrants.  That's not to say he isn't pragmatic enough to try to placate the unions.

I'm curious. Since the Republicans have yet to propose a plan to ship them across the border, how do they plan on dealing with millions of people who are here illegally yet playing a role in our economy? Ignore it until it goes away?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Faeelin on April 21, 2010, 08:55:17 PM

I'm curious. Since the Republicans have yet to propose a plan to ship them across the border, how do they plan on dealing with millions of people who are here illegally yet playing a role in our economy? Ignore it until it goes away?
They'll employ them themselves as cut rate labor.  The current situation is fine with a lot of people. They get cheap workers who have no alternatives if they get fucked over. 
PDH!

Razgovory

Reagan also saw future democratic voters when he gave illegals amnesty back in the 1980's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Faeelin on April 21, 2010, 08:55:17 PM

Don't expect me to defend "the Republicans" on this.  They are hardly unified in their opinion or approach, and I'm sure there are plenty who are quietly satisfied with the status quo.

Personally, I favor some sort of documented guest worker program and heavily increased border enforcement.  It's not practical to try to deport all illegals en masse, but some of them need to leave.

I actually used to be more sympathetic towards illegal immigrants, but the rallies in 2006 with all the Mexican flags and demands for full citizenship helped push me the opposite way. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on April 21, 2010, 09:11:55 PM
Reagan also saw future democratic voters when he gave illegals amnesty back in the 1980's.

Not that that's relevant, but everyone makes mistakes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Faeelin

Quote from: derspiess on April 21, 2010, 09:34:37 PM
I actually used to be more sympathetic towards illegal immigrants, but the rallies in 2006 with all the Mexican flags and demands for full citizenship helped push me the opposite way.

Why are Mexican flags offensive?

Crazy_Ivan80

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Faeelin on April 22, 2010, 12:00:25 AM

If they're demanding full citizenship they should be waving American Flags.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Faeelin

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 22, 2010, 03:00:58 AM
If they're demanding full citizenship they should be waving American Flags.

Because Americans never, ever, wave flags of other countries.

Eddie Teach

When associated with a demand for citizenship, it's definitely sending the wrong message.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 22, 2010, 07:48:35 AM
When associated with a demand for citizenship, it's definitely sending the wrong message.
Face it, the people whose deeply held beliefs sway like trees in every wind will be swayed by the display of flags, but they will be swayed by pretty near anything, so who cares?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Fate

If they were true Americans they'd be waving Confederate Flags.

derspiess

They're not.  But they were a clear sign that those demanding citizenship had little if any intention of assimilating and considering themselves Americans.  And it made me realize that the illegals weren't just up here to find work & make some money to send home-- they (at least the ones protesting) apparently feel entitled to stay and become citizens. 

And I know within a couple days the Mexican flags were suddenly replaced with U.S. flags, but the cat was already out of the bag.  Screw 'em-- if they are so proud of Mexico, let them go back.