Long term planning: USA Road Trip, 2015

Started by Pedrito, April 12, 2010, 10:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on April 12, 2010, 06:01:02 PM
He's save $100 by going with a compact (Cobalt), or $200 with a subcompact (Aveo).  Any of which might be tough for Pedrito after driving his 5-series back home...
Fuck, that's all?

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2010, 05:58:10 PM
Italians are little people.  He doesn't need an intermediate.

He's save $100 by going with a compact (Cobalt), or $200 with a subcompact (Aveo).  Any of which might be tough for Pedrito after driving his 5-series back home...

Renting a car from an airport is more expensive than rentals down the road. Also, a rental from LA is probably very pricey. If you fly into a cheaper town and catch a cab to a rental car company away from the airport you may be able to save 50% or more.

I think I'd rather drop $2-3k to rent a car rather than deal with the trouble of buying a cheap car and then reselling it--who knows the quality you are going to get and you will still probably take a 4 digit loss. I also have no idea about the trouble for a foreigner to get a car registered and street legal in the US.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on April 12, 2010, 06:09:22 PM

Renting a car from an airport is more expensive than rentals down the road. Also, a rental from LA is probably very pricey. If you fly into a cheaper town and catch a cab to a rental car company away from the airport you may be able to save 50% or more.

I think I'd rather drop $2-3k to rent a car rather than deal with the trouble of buying a cheap car and then reselling it--who knows the quality you are going to get and you will still probably take a 4 digit loss. I also have no idea about the trouble for a foreigner to get a car registered and street legal in the US.

You go and price it out then.

From my own experience renting in Europe was that while you might be able to get a cheaper price elsewhere, you were still stuck flying into a major international airport, and having to travel quite a distance to get your rental car was a major problem.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on April 12, 2010, 06:11:57 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 12, 2010, 06:09:22 PM

You go and price it out then.

From my own experience renting in Europe was that while you might be able to get a cheaper price elsewhere, you were still stuck flying into a major international airport, and having to travel quite a distance to get your rental car was a major problem.

I tried Hattiesburg, MS enterprise for an intermediate was $1,851.12 for 2 months.

I agree that it is a hassle to get a car away from an airport (that is why they can charge a premium), but for two months it would be worth the trouble, especially since he will be driving through places like Hattiesburg anyway.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DisturbedPervert

Why even bother with a car?  Just use the vast and efficient public transportation system.  Let America's army of highly trained transportation engineers whisk you from to coast to coast in style and comfort.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 12, 2010, 06:21:12 PM
Why even bother with a car?  Just use the vast and efficient public transportation system.  Let America's army of highly trained transportation engineers whisk you from to coast to coast in style and comfort.

he he

I like Fredo's idea.  He flies into JFK.  He does NYC on foot, subway, and taxi.  He takes Amerikkatrak down to DC, does DC via subway.  Then he takes the train down to, say, Richmond and gets a rental for half the big city slicker price.

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on April 12, 2010, 06:16:52 PM
I tried Hattiesburg, MS enterprise for an intermediate was $1,851.12 for 2 months.

I agree that it is a hassle to get a car away from an airport (that is why they can charge a premium), but for two months it would be worth the trouble, especially since he will be driving through places like Hattiesburg anyway.

How many international flights land in Hattiesburg, MS?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2010, 04:54:15 PMAnd Yuros always talk like selling a car is a snap.  Unless you dump it at a dealer for half of what you paid you're going to have to put an ad in the paper (or online) and wait a couple weeks for people to respond.

A friend of mine once bought a car from a Euro desperate to sell as he was flying back home.  In the end the car was purchased in exchange for a ride to the airport.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on April 12, 2010, 06:36:22 PM
How many international flights land in Hattiesburg, MS?
[Lettuce]Flights from Washington D.C.[/Lettuce]
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadBurgerMaker

Huh.  Renting a "premium" car from the Enterprise in Dulles isn't a whole lot more than the random location I picked in Richmond, VA. 

Admiral Yi

OK, we modify the plan.  Pedrito hitchhikes from DC to Hatiesburg, Mississippi.

DGuller

Did you include insurance when getting the quote?  Since Pedrito doesn't have a regular American auto insurance, he'll have to get it through car rental as well.  That's a shaft with a barbed tip cost-wise.

PDH

If you visit Yellowstone it might mean being close enough to me to show you "that place where Katmai ate" in Laramie (really, about the most famous place here).

If things change, and you visit the coast of California, I might be able to put you up in beautiful Big Sur, California (google it...worth the stop).

Other that, I have no suggestions, other than anything east of here sucks donkey balls.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on April 12, 2010, 04:14:30 PM
In my opinion, Pedrito needs to decide if he wants to take an "American Road Trip", or whether he wants to see specific sights in America.  If he wants to see NYC, Chicago, Disneyland, he ought to just fly from place to place.

Just fly.  The parts in America outside of the cities are called "flyover country" for a reason.

I drove from Atlanta to New Orleans and back last weekend.  2 different routes through Alabama and Mississippi, and both of them are totally boring.

Monoriu

I want to go to -

New York City
Washington DC
Yellowstone Park
Orlando Disney

before I die.