Long term planning: USA Road Trip, 2015

Started by Pedrito, April 12, 2010, 10:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: ulmont on April 12, 2010, 09:03:09 PM
Just fly.  The parts in America outside of the cities are called "flyover country" for a reason.

I drove from Atlanta to New Orleans and back last weekend.  2 different routes through Alabama and Mississippi, and both of them are totally boring.

Oh, but all that beautiful kudzu!
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: ulmont on April 12, 2010, 09:03:09 PM
Just fly.  The parts in America outside of the cities are called "flyover country" for a reason.

I drove from Atlanta to New Orleans and back last weekend.  2 different routes through Alabama and Mississippi, and both of them are totally boring.

I'm the opposite.  American cities aren't that interesting, the parts of America that are really spectacular are outdoors.  Driving is definitely the way to go

stjaba

Quote from: Monoriu on April 12, 2010, 11:21:17 PM
I want to go to -

New York City
Washington DC
Yellowstone Park
Orlando Disney

before I die.

Disney World is nothing special for an adult male without kids.

citizen k

Quote from: stjaba on April 12, 2010, 11:44:14 PM
Disney World is nothing special for an adult male without kids.

Unless they just like kids.

DisturbedPervert

Disneyland is much more amusing if you smuggle in a flask of vodka to drink on Mr Toad's Wild Ride

The Larch

He should also make a detour to the Jersey shore to witness the evolution of Italians in America. I'm sure he'll enjoy meeting his paesani.  :P

Caliga

That reminds me.... Pedrito, my wife's former boss up in Massachusetts is from somewhere in Calabria (surname: Pitaro), first-generation, and they're so friendly they'd probably host ya.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Pedrito

Ok, so to sum it up the first three pages:

@ Larch: The kids already travelled by plane, up to 2 1/2 hours; it's not a transaltantic flight, but they behaved well

@ Grey Fox: a trip of more than 2 months will be impossible, rather i'm considering splitting the journey in two or more.

@ various: buying vs. renting a car: I strongly prefer the latter, much less hassle; but I'll evaluate pros and cons

@ Ed Anger: no more vagina wall  :(  about military sites: some battleships will definitely be worthy, the boy loves them. Intrepid seems interesting, the New Jersey too! Battlefields, could be an option too; I assume Gettysburg is the most interesting

@ Cal: beef brisket :mmm:

@ Beeb: road trip or flyover? My idea is going for a road trip, but this issue will be pollified, here and at home.

@ Jaron: about Mexico, I was pondering about going down from L.A. to Baja California, but i have to gather some more information on the area.

Washington DC will be added to TEH LIST

@ MBM: I assume all the South will be scorching hot in June and July, i was considering a visit to the Monument Valley and Bryce Canyon, too :hmm:

@ DP: I've never heard of Lassen national Park, i'll check it, thx; About multiday hikes in yosemite, have you got any suggestions?

@ Alfred Russel: I loved San Francisco when I was there, oh well, it was 20 years ago  :cry:, plus it would be a good starting base for a trip down California coast towards LA.

About rentals outside airports, thanks for the info: in this case, I was planning to book a car directly from home before leaving for the USa

@ PDH: Laramie, noted  ;)

@ Cal, again: thanks  :)

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

DGuller

Quote from: Pedrito on April 13, 2010, 08:04:11 AM
Ok, so to sum it up the first three pages:

@ Larch: The kids already travelled by plane, up to 2 1/2 hours; it's not a transaltantic flight, but they behaved well

@ Grey Fox: a trip of more than 2 months will be impossible, rather i'm considering splitting the journey in two or more.

@ various: buying vs. renting a car: I strongly prefer the latter, much less hassle; but I'll evaluate pros and cons

@ Ed Anger: no more vagina wall  :(  about military sites: some battleships will definitely be worthy, the boy loves them. Intrepid seems interesting, the New Jersey too! Battlefields, could be an option too; I assume Gettysburg is the most interesting

@ Cal: beef brisket :mmm:

@ Beeb: road trip or flyover? My idea is going for a road trip, but this issue will be pollified, here and at home.

@ Jaron: about Mexico, I was pondering about going down from L.A. to Baja California, but i have to gather some more information on the area.

Washington DC will be added to TEH LIST

@ MBM: I assume all the South will be scorching hot in June and July, i was considering a visit to the Monument Valley and Bryce Canyon, too :hmm:

@ DP: I've never heard of Lassen national Park, i'll check it, thx; About multiday hikes in yosemite, have you got any suggestions?

@ Alfred Russel: I loved San Francisco when I was there, oh well, it was 20 years ago  :cry:, plus it would be a good starting base for a trip down California coast towards LA.

About rentals outside airports, thanks for the info: in this case, I was planning to book a car directly from home before leaving for the USa

@ PDH: Laramie, noted  ;)

@ Cal, again: thanks  :)

L.
Nobody takes my culinary advice seriously.  :(

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on April 12, 2010, 05:50:25 PM
Just for kicks, went to a random car rental company.  Renting an intermediate car, pickup from JFK July 1st, return at LAX August 31st, total cost is $3600USD, plus $750 one-way fee.

WTF

Pedrito

Quote from: DGuller on April 13, 2010, 08:16:52 AM
Nobody takes my culinary advice seriously.  :(
Coming from a guy that asks for 4-ingredient recipes, no, I won't take it seriously  :P

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Ed Anger

You might want to think about the fall if you are going into the Midwest any. Cooler, Tornadoes won't attack your car and you can discover the wonders of the festival season* in the rural Midwest.

You can go Mullet hunting.

Daddy! I saw 10 mullets in that truck!

Also, there is this:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

*aka rednecks eating deep fried foods.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Pedrito

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 13, 2010, 08:33:20 AM
You might want to think about the fall if you are going into the Midwest any. Cooler, Tornadoes won't attack your car and you can discover the wonders of the festival season* in the rural Midwest.

You can go Mullet hunting.

Daddy! I saw 10 mullets in that truck!

Also, there is this:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

*aka rednecks eating deep fried foods.

WTF this site is a treasure trove!  :lol:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/9786

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Mecha-Jesus emerging from the underworld is an awe-inspiring sight.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM