Long term planning: USA Road Trip, 2015

Started by Pedrito, April 12, 2010, 10:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 14, 2010, 02:30:28 AM
You should also go to Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico

Or better Mammoth cave in Kentucky.  And then see Cal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Isn't the world suppossed to end by 2012?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on April 14, 2010, 04:55:58 AM
Isn't the world suppossed to end by 2012?

You don't even use that calender.  That was like 4,000 years ago for you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Pedrito

Having read the "travelling for work" thread, I think I must reconsider the dates of the trip or the places to visit  :hmm:

I assume all the south is extremely hot in june/july, with humidity varying from very dry in the West (Southern Cali, Aridzona, New Mexico, Texas) to very humid (Eastern Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida), is it right?

Will July be very hot even at northern latitudes (Washington, NYC, San Francisco)?

Is august usually hotter than july? When I was in California during August 1990, I remember the place (Davis) to be extremely hot but very dry and livable; San Francisco having fog even in August; and the rest of the state down to LA having very pleasant temperatures, but it could be because it was the end of august.

Should I consider to split the journey, vsiting the North during june and the south during late august/early september?

Anyone can suggest a good site for 2015 weather forecasts?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Razgovory

Yes even NYC is hot in July and August.  The eastern and central parts of the country can be very humid.  It becomes extremely humid in Missouri and though I haven't spent alot of time in the South I suspect it's very humid there as well.

Zanza

Can your daughter even go for two months in summer? How long are school holidays in Italy?

Pedrito

School year usually ends around the 10th of june and starts again in mid september. It shouldn't be difficult to snatch five days at the beginning of june (examinations end by May, usually), or five days at the very start of the courses, in mid-september

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on April 16, 2010, 03:20:22 AM
Can your daughter even go for two months in summer? How long are school holidays in Italy?

Austrians have 8-9 weeks, too, so it could be (uni is out from Juli-September).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Pedrito on April 16, 2010, 03:00:55 AM
Will July be very hot even at northern latitudes (Washington, NYC, San Francisco)?

San Fransisco no, it never really gets that hot except occasional days.  Same for the rest of coastal California till you get down south. The east coast gets hot and humid.

PDH

Wyoming never gets too hot!

Well, except when the Yellowstone supervolcano explodes, so don't plan to come here then.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

DC is unbearable in August, pretty good in June and July.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2010, 03:09:04 AM
Yes even NYC is hot in July and August.  The eastern and central parts of the country can be very humid.  It becomes extremely humid in Missouri and though I haven't spent alot of time in the South I suspect it's very humid there as well.

Don't forget the giant skeeters in the summertime.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

It's very pleasant in YUukon / Alaska in July / August. :Canuck:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 16, 2010, 03:37:36 AM
Quote from: Pedrito on April 16, 2010, 03:00:55 AM

San Fransisco no, it never really gets that hot except occasional days.  Same for the rest of coastal California till you get down south. The east coast gets hot and humid.

The central valley can turn into a sweltering sauna though. Cali has a bunch of different climates.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 16, 2010, 12:05:13 PM
The central valley can turn into a sweltering sauna though. Cali has a bunch of different climates.

Yeah. As you go inland it can get really hot.  Even a few miles can make a huge difference in temperature in places.  He should take the 1 from LA to SF for nice weather and scenery.