Obama orders hospital visitation rights for gays, lesbians

Started by alfred russel, April 16, 2010, 10:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Faeelin on April 16, 2010, 11:37:26 AMMy understanding, of course, is that there's some sort of legal relationship many heterosexual couples have that automatically grants both parties the right to make medical decisions if someone is incapable of doing so. Anybody know what it's called?

Marriage?  :ph34r:

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 16, 2010, 06:05:34 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2010, 10:56:50 AM
Why are there any limits at all?

There aren't really.  I've worked for two major hospitals in my time, and I've never seen anybody like that barred from visitations.  Hospitals are very sensitive on that issue.  Then again, it's Florida in the case listed above.

In my experience, if you ask to see someone in intensive care or the like, they'll tell you that only family is allowed (usually no more than a certain number of family members at a time.  In those cases, we've always jus said something like, "Yeah, we're family" and they've let us in without asking what our relationship to the sick person is or anything.

citizen k

Quote from: Faeelin on April 16, 2010, 11:37:26 AM
My understanding, of course, is that there's some sort of legal relationship many heterosexual couples have that automatically grants both parties the right to make medical decisions if someone is incapable of doing so. Anybody know what it's called?

Living will? Power of attorney?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2010, 05:51:22 PM
Quote from: Alexandru H. on April 16, 2010, 11:19:52 AM
What a stupid regulation...  <_<

So is this some kind of last "cock-sucking fest" / "pussy-licking fest" before death?
The Fate Rule is hereby renamed the Fate-Alexandru Rule.

Meh. Fate is a troll, while Alexandru is a Neanderthal, so they should have distinct Rules.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2010, 05:51:22 PM
Quote from: Alexandru H. on April 16, 2010, 11:19:52 AM
What a stupid regulation...  <_<

So is this some kind of last "cock-sucking fest" / "pussy-licking fest" before death?
The Fate Rule is hereby renamed the Fate-Alexandru Rule.
Here, here. *applause*
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!