Long term planning: USA Road Trip, 2015

Started by Pedrito, April 12, 2010, 10:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

For such a long trip you could be better off buying a vehicle then selling it at the end than renting.
Car rentals are damn expensive wheras second hand cars can get rather cheap. I suppose risking ending up with a clunker and breaking down in the middle of Arizona would suck though.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

QuoteThe Great Vagina Wall

Has been torn down by the new owner. That wonder of the world has been expunged from history.

Anyways for military shit, you have the Intrepid in NY, the Olympia in Philly and some battleships scattered around. Olympia might not last that long though, she is in rough shape.  :cry:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Remember that the US will be several different countries by 2015.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on April 12, 2010, 11:13:42 AM
Take them to Euro Disney in Paris and save yourself lots of Languish.  :P
Fixed
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 12, 2010, 12:14:42 PM
QuoteThe Great Vagina Wall

Has been torn down by the new owner. That wonder of the world has been expunged from history.

Anyways for military shit, you have the Intrepid in NY, the Olympia in Philly and some battleships scattered around. Olympia might not last that long though, she is in rough shape.  :cry:

The New Jersey's berthed on the other side of the river in Camden, right next to the Aquarium.  Just don't stop for any red lights when you're in-city. :contract:

For road trip purposes, I know I'm going to sound biased as all hell, but I think you'll get more out of a visit to Philly than to NYC ( especially if you've got young'uns along for the ride); YMMV, though.
Experience bij!

Caliga

:cool:  Cal would be happy to smoke a brisket for some Eye-talians.

I shall rendezvous with you in Florence.... Kentucky.  Florence, y'all.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

citizen k

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 12, 2010, 12:14:42 PM
Olympia might not last that long though, she is in rough shape.  :cry:
So's the rest of Philly.  ;)

citizen k

Have you considered rail travel? You can go from New York to Seattle.

DGuller

Makes sure you visit Sbarro and Olive Garden when you get here, to see what real Italian food tastes like.

Barrister

Quote from: citizen k on April 12, 2010, 03:23:32 PM
Have you considered rail travel? You can go from New York to Seattle.

I don't think that would be much fun.  It'll take days, and you're stuck inside the train.

In my opinion, Pedrito needs to decide if he wants to take an "American Road Trip", or whether he wants to see specific sights in America.  If he wants to see NYC, Chicago, Disneyland, he ought to just fly from place to place.

If however he wants to take a 'road trip', that's an entirely different kind of trip.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

I'd avoid Mexico if I was you. Its no place to take kids right now and might be even worse in five years.

I do not recommend you follow BBs suggestion because only he and katmai would enjoy the drive to Alaska.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Quote from: Jaron on April 12, 2010, 04:39:55 PM
I'd avoid Mexico if I was you. Its no place to take kids right now and might be even worse in five years.

I do not recommend you follow BBs suggestion because only he and katmai would enjoy the drive to Alaska.

The Alaska highway is the most beautiful drive in the world, hands down.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on April 12, 2010, 04:45:17 PM

Is it still a two-lane highway (one in each direction)?

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on April 12, 2010, 04:46:50 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 12, 2010, 04:45:17 PM

Is it still a two-lane highway (one in each direction)?

Of course.  There is no 4-lane highway within a 1000kms of here.

The better question to ask is whether it is a paved highway.  The Alaska Highway is - but some of our other highways are not.   :ph34r:

Admiral Yi

You need to put DC on your list.  All kids love the Air and Space.

I would go car + motel instead of RV.  Mostly because RVs are such a huge hassle to drive in town.  And Yuros always talk like selling a car is a snap.  Unless you dump it at a dealer for half of what you paid you're going to have to put an ad in the paper (or online) and wait a couple weeks for people to respond.

And keep in mind there are about 40 amusement parks in Florida apart from Disney.