News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I love my new job

Started by Hansmeister, April 10, 2009, 07:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Queequeg on April 11, 2009, 01:39:41 PM
You think we'll be out of Afghanistan by the time I'd be ready for everything?  I doubt it.  If my 17 year old sister joined ROTC in two years I'd think she would serve in Afghanistan.

If you go officer you won't much say on where they send you, especially when you first get in, though the opportunities abound the longer you stay in.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Queequeg

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 11, 2009, 05:14:17 PM
You think we'll be out of Afghanistan by the time I'd be ready for everything?  I doubt it.  If my 17 year old sister joined ROTC in two years I'd think she would serve in Afghanistan.

If you go officer you won't much say on where they send you, especially when you first get in, though the opportunities abound the longer you stay in.
They wouldn't account for my interest and background in the area?  I've studied the area a lot.   :shifty:

What would I be doing?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

FunkMonk

Quote from: Queequeg on April 11, 2009, 05:44:51 PM

They wouldn't account for my interest and background in the area?  I've studied the area a lot.   :shifty:

What would I be doing?
If you score high enough on the tests you would probably get your first choice of MOS (mission occupational specialty). Also as I understand it, you're more likely to get your choice of initial duty station if you're a combat related MOS. Beware, if you score poorly then you're likely to get your second or third choice of MOS, or they just make you whatever they happen to need at the time and send you on your merry way. Iirc the tests are based on your aptitude and your soldierly training.

This is based off second-hand knowledge from the myriad of officers I've spoken to about this. If you're serious about this, try and find a current or former army officer. Recruiters... I don't happen to trust them.  ;)

Queequeg

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 11, 2009, 06:02:36 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 11, 2009, 05:44:51 PM

What would I be doing?
If you score high enough on the tests you would probably get your first choice of MOS (mission occupational specialty). Also as I understand it, you're more likely to get your choice of initial duty station if you're a combat related MOS. Beware, if you score poorly then you're likely to get your second or third choice of MOS, or they just make you whatever they happen to need at the time and send you on your merry way. Iirc the tests are based on your aptitude and your soldierly training.

This is based off second-hand knowledge from the myriad of officers I've spoken to about this. If you're serious about this, try and find a current or former army officer. Recruiters... I don't happen to trust them.  ;)

That's why I am asking Languish instead of a recruiter right now.   :D
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Martinus

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 11, 2009, 09:02:40 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 11, 2009, 12:14:51 AM
I'm considering joining the army, but I'm afraid of entering the army clique on Languish.   :Embarrass:
Don't let us deter you. It's a worthy profession.  :P
He could be like Hans and Siegy! :D

FunkMonk

Quote from: Queequeg on April 11, 2009, 06:06:01 PM
That's why I am asking Languish instead of a recruiter right now.   :D
Gotcha.  ;)

You're more likely to get what you want if you graduate from West Point. From there it goes down to the other military academies, and then OCS grads and ROTC grads. Iirc every graduating class of officers is divided up into year groups. Every year or cycle or whatever there are 'n' number of slots. West Point grads get their pick right off the bat, followed by grads from the other military academies, and then OCS and ROTC grads get the rest. So even if you do awesome on your testing, if you're a ROTC grad you're going to lose out to the West Point grad vying for the same spot. You already have your degree I assume, so I guess you'd go through OCS? Or are you entertaining the thought of enlisting?
Or, you could do your part as a State Department or DoD civilian. I think they're hiring like mad now.  On the other hand, you wouldn't have the opportunity to make Siegy to salute you. :D

FunkMonk

Quote from: Martinus on April 11, 2009, 06:19:22 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 11, 2009, 09:02:40 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 11, 2009, 12:14:51 AM
I'm considering joining the army, but I'm afraid of entering the army clique on Languish.   :Embarrass:
Don't let us deter you. It's a worthy profession.  :P
He could be like Hans and Siegy! :D
As much as I disagree with both of them, they're still my Army brethren.  :cool:

Caliga

The ASVAB is a total joke (or at least it was in 1994).  Spellus will easily be able to get the MOS that he wants.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

FunkMonk

Oh noes am I recruiting MP??/  :o :o :o :goodboy:

FunkMonk

Quote from: Caliga on April 11, 2009, 07:03:27 PM
The ASVAB is a total joke (or at least it was in 1994).  Spellus will easily be able to get the MOS that he wants.
The ASVAB.  :lol: :lol:
I believe officer candidates have to take another test at the end of their officer training, though. Combat skills, leadership, etc.

Caliga

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 11, 2009, 07:07:57 PMThe ASVAB.  :lol: :lol:
I believe officer candidates have to take another test at the end of their officer training, though. Combat skills, leadership, etc.

Spellus, an officer?  :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on April 11, 2009, 07:09:42 PM

With Spellus and Siegy defending you against enemies, and Tim and Jaron teaching your kids what could possibly go wrong for America? :D

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 11, 2009, 07:09:42 PM

he will not rise above Kentarchos.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 11, 2009, 01:37:28 PM

2) I bet if you join, you won't see Afghanistan. So join the navy. See Asian whores.

My cousin in the navy just went back to Afghanistan this week. :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son