News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I love my new job

Started by Hansmeister, April 10, 2009, 07:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hansmeister

Well, in February I started my new job building a new PSYOP Company and I'm having a blast.

I'm the First Sergeant and the senior full-timer so I have pretty much freedom in shaping the Company as I see fit.  Particularly since my Reserve Commander is on the exact same wavelength as myself.

My Company consists mainly of brand new privates (a good chunk which are still in High School) and our numbers are approaching 50, nearly halfway to our authorized end strength of 104 (to go up to 132 in 2012).  Not a bad start!

We have no senior NCOs (outside myself) and lack officers (except for the Commander), but this is a CAPOC-wide phenomena and there isn't an easy solution to this.

At formation I asked who was born after 16 Jan 1991 (the date I joined the Army) and, depressingly, several Soldiers raised their hands.  I'm now the grouchy, old First Sergeant.

In June the other units in the Reserve Center are moving out and I'll take over responsibility for the entire facility (consisting of four buildings).  In September is our official activation and we can expect to be deployed a year later.

The Brain

You joined the day before Desert Storm? Desert Shield made you horny?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Hansmeister

Quote from: The Brain on April 10, 2009, 07:20:16 AM
You joined the day before Desert Storm? Desert Shield made you horny?

I actually signed up in August to be shipped out in January.  I had finished MEPS and was in the hotel since my plane to take me to basic was flying out in the morning when the war kicked off.  A bunch of us recruits huddled around the TV and watched as the war unfolded.  Of course, this was the only part of the war I saw, since there was no TV in Basic.

Caliga

I took the ASVAB and was going to do ROTC till my mother intervened.  :blush:

I hope the recruiter wasn't beaten too badly when I withdrew from the process.  :Embarrass:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Sounds great Hans :cheers:

Just out of curiousity why did you decide to not become an officer?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Yeah, I would have expected Hans to go to OCS by now or something.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Sounds good Hans. Enjoy and good luck.

And grats on being the Old man, the Big Toe, Old Timer!    ;)

Hansmeister

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2009, 07:51:14 AM
Sounds great Hans :cheers:

Just out of curiousity why did you decide to not become an officer?

My wife would've had to give up her career for mine.  Officers have to move around a lot, making it impossible for spouses to have careers.  Any income I would've gained would've been more than offset by income loss of my wife.

I wanted to go MI Warrant but my wife vetoed that as well since I would constantly be deployed.

Scipio

That's your wife who only has sex for reasons of procreation, right?
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

grumbler

Quote from: Hansmeister on April 10, 2009, 09:06:50 AM
My wife would've had to give up her career for mine.  Officers have to move around a lot, making it impossible for spouses to have careers.  Any income I would've gained would've been more than offset by income loss of my wife.

I wanted to go MI Warrant but my wife vetoed that as well since I would constantly be deployed.
I think NCOs have a better life than officers, having seen things only from the officer POV.

Officers spend a lot of time apple-polishing and filling needles billets.  NCOs do the important stuff.

Bravo for you, top!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

Quote from: grumbler on April 10, 2009, 09:41:59 PM

I think NCOs have a better life than officers, having seen things only from the officer POV.

Officers spend a lot of time apple-polishing and filling needles billets.  NCOs do the important stuff.

Bravo for you, top!
I've come to realize this very thing over the past two years. I was at one time seriously looking to Go Gold but I thought better of it.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Hansmeister

Quote from: grumbler on April 10, 2009, 09:41:59 PM

Bravo for you, top!

The pay is much better for senior NCOs than in days past.  People outside the military don't even realize how well we get paid.

Phillip V

Quote from: Caliga on April 10, 2009, 07:41:55 AM
I hope the recruiter wasn't beaten too badly when I withdrew from the process.  :Embarrass:
We had an Army-wide stand-down last month because a bunch of recruiters had committed suicide under the stress, so I hope not.

Phillip V

Congrats, Hans. I hope to join CA.