And we're back!

Main Menu

Are you calling me a Tatar?

Started by Alatriste, April 08, 2010, 07:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Larch on April 08, 2010, 04:37:56 PM
More importantly, how did they call the city?  :lol:

I forget the Yiddish for: "What a dump; when can we get to America/Canada/Australia/Argentina/Palestine/Hell we'll even take the Dominican Republic"
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on April 08, 2010, 04:32:43 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 08, 2010, 04:04:32 PM
Quote from: Alatriste on April 08, 2010, 07:21:04 AM
Ukraine/Poland Anyone who spells the capital of Galicia as Lwów is a Polish nationalist who bayonets Ukrainian babies for fun. Anyone who says it is spelled Lviv is a Ukrainian fascist who bayonets Polish babies for fun. Anyone who spells it Lvov is a Soviet mass murderer. And anyone who calls it Lemberg is a Nazi. See you in Leopolis for further discussion.

Heh - my grandfather was born there.
The key thing to remember is whatever the differences among these people and their spelling of place names, they can always be united under a common cause: kick the crap out of the Jews.

As was my maternal grandmother.

We may be related!  :D

I think Guller is from there as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Solmyr on April 08, 2010, 02:06:27 PM
Quote from: Sahib on April 08, 2010, 10:51:43 AM
"Ruthenian"?

Why the fuck should we use a Latin name for a place where Latin was never even used? Not to mention that "Russia" was used in Latin documents as well to denote Kievan Rus.

Cause apparently the natives can't agree.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 08, 2010, 05:14:20 PM

I forget the Yiddish for: "What a dump; when can we get to America/Canada/Australia/Argentina/Palestine/Hell we'll even take the Dominican Republic"

I thought that as far as Ukrainian cities go, L'viv was quite nice?   :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2010, 05:39:39 PM
It's a nice place to l'visit, but you wouldn't want to lviv there.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2010, 05:43:39 PM

:frusty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2010, 05:43:39 PM

:lol:

Martinus

Sorry, but Jewish people are the last ones who should be mentoring others about silly territorial disputes based on obscure historical claims. :P

Viking

Quote from: Solmyr on April 08, 2010, 10:20:52 AM
The best part is, there is no other handy adjective in English that could substitute for "something or someone from Kievan Rus".

Steppetard and Stepptardite.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 08, 2010, 05:14:20 PM

It was Lwow before the war. :P

A sizable part of the population (majority?) was Polish.

Most of them were resettled to Wroclaw (formerly Breslau) after the war.

And you wonder why the region is so fucked up.

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on April 08, 2010, 05:51:02 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on April 08, 2010, 10:20:52 AM
The best part is, there is no other handy adjective in English that could substitute for "something or someone from Kievan Rus".

Steppetard and Stepptardite.

Sorry, but Icelandtards have really no place laughing at other nations. :P

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2010, 05:50:42 PM
Sorry, but Jewish people are the last ones who should be mentoring others about silly territorial disputes based on obscure historical claims. :P

Not so, they have the decency to win their fights.

Agelastus

Quote from: Razgovory on April 08, 2010, 06:30:24 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2010, 05:50:42 PM

Not so, they have the decency to win their fights.

That's only recently though. The Jews have a long and honourable history of defeat in armed conflict going back to the Assyrians.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Alatriste

Quote from: Razgovory on April 08, 2010, 10:09:16 AM
QuoteThe EU is a more hopeful source of help. It is good at solving problems by being boring. Faced with the prospect of a near-death experience in a meeting room in Brussels, people often discover new possibilities for compromise.

:lmfao:

I knew you Yanks (and Rebs too) would love this part... :D

"Talk, talk, talk is better than war, war, war" (Winston S. Churchill)

Martinus