And we're back!

Main Menu

Are you calling me a Tatar?

Started by Alatriste, April 08, 2010, 07:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Solmyr on April 08, 2010, 10:20:52 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 08, 2010, 08:22:24 AM
I hear rants on this subject from my wife and her relations often enough. Any historical work or even novel that (somewhat anachronistically) refers to the Rus as "Russian" sends them into a fury.

The best part is, there is no other handy adjective in English that could substitute for "something or someone from Kievan Rus".

Anyway, the Ukrainians have only themselves to blame. Fuckers got conquered by ancestors of Martinus, and when they finally managed to free themselves they received heavy Muscovite help.

The real problem was earlier - getting creamed by the Mongols.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sahib

Quote from: Solmyr on April 08, 2010, 10:20:52 AM
I hear rants on this subject from my wife and her relations often enough. Any historical work or even novel that (somewhat anachronistically) refers to the Rus as "Russian" sends them into a fury.

The best part is, there is no other handy adjective in English that could substitute for "something or someone from Kievan Rus".

"Ruthenian"?

Quote from: Zanza on April 08, 2010, 10:37:06 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on April 08, 2010, 10:33:17 AMGermans tend to give weird and totally unrelated names to places they occupy.
What would be a related name? What does Lviv (or whatever) mean?
City/Town of Leo IIRC
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Barrister

Quote from: Alatriste on April 08, 2010, 07:21:04 AM
Kievan Rus was not Russian. Any talk of a Ruthenian nation is ill-informed, stupid, possibly mad and the product of Muscovite attempts to split and destroy Ukraine.

Damn straight.  Your wife is very wise in such matters.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I know one person from Lviv and he calls it Lviv. I know more East Ukrainians, they call it Lvov.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Charles XII took Lemberg, not some faggity slave name town.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Alcibiades

Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2010, 08:11:57 AM
They should feel guilty for having failed.  More than anybody else, the Nazis are guilty for having subjected the world to Martinus.  Other than his parents, I suppose.

Still, a lot of problems would be solved if the old Hohenzollern, Habsburg and Ottoman empires were reconstructed.

Yeah no shit, the world would be a better place without Martinus.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Razgovory

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 08, 2010, 11:54:40 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2010, 08:11:57 AM
They should feel guilty for having failed.  More than anybody else, the Nazis are guilty for having subjected the world to Martinus.  Other than his parents, I suppose.

Still, a lot of problems would be solved if the old Hohenzollern, Habsburg and Ottoman empires were reconstructed.

Yeah no shit, the world would be a better place without Martinus.

Should have stayed communist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

Quote from: Sahib on April 08, 2010, 10:51:43 AM
"Ruthenian"?

Why the fuck should we use a Latin name for a place where Latin was never even used? Not to mention that "Russia" was used in Latin documents as well to denote Kievan Rus.

Lucidor

I love it! I'd follow the EUOT thread religiously! Is there a Balkan political discussion subforum yet, to get rid of the crazy of the regular OT?

Agelastus

Quote from: Zanza on April 08, 2010, 10:34:03 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on April 08, 2010, 10:22:16 AM
As for Gdansk/Danzig, eleven pages of archives (Lvov/Lviv has one). I rest my case.
Some tards fighting on Wikipedia is different from governments making policy based on names.

Without reading it, I assume some of them are the ones who say that Danzig was illegally occupied first by the Germans, and then by the Poles, and should be recognised as the Free City it was before WWII?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

The Minsky Moment

Ukraine/Poland Anyone who spells the capital of Galicia as Lwów is a Polish nationalist who bayonets Ukrainian babies for fun. Anyone who says it is spelled Lviv is a Ukrainian fascist who bayonets Polish babies for fun. Anyone who spells it Lvov is a Soviet mass murderer. And anyone who calls it Lemberg is a Nazi. See you in Leopolis for further discussion.

Heh - my grandfather was born there.
The key thing to remember is whatever the differences among these people and their spelling of place names, they can always be united under a common cause: kick the crap out of the Jews.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 08, 2010, 04:04:32 PM
Ukraine/Poland Anyone who spells the capital of Galicia as Lwów is a Polish nationalist who bayonets Ukrainian babies for fun. Anyone who says it is spelled Lviv is a Ukrainian fascist who bayonets Polish babies for fun. Anyone who spells it Lvov is a Soviet mass murderer. And anyone who calls it Lemberg is a Nazi. See you in Leopolis for further discussion.

Heh - my grandfather was born there.
The key thing to remember is whatever the differences among these people and their spelling of place names, they can always be united under a common cause: kick the crap out of the Jews.

As was my maternal grandmother.

We may be related!  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

More importantly, how did they call the city?  :lol:

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on April 08, 2010, 04:37:56 PM
L'Ouch: "City of Bruised Shins."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on April 08, 2010, 04:37:56 PM

No doubt by whatever name got them beaten the least.  ;)