The Hungarian Election Thread (it's this sunday, folks!)

Started by Tamas, April 08, 2010, 04:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2010, 10:04:53 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 08, 2010, 11:49:44 PM
Yes because we weren't that big on fighting for the ruskies, unlike the slavs.

I went to a Hungarian history museum when I was in Budapest.

The main message I got was the Hungarians hate Russians...alot...

"Terror Háza"? "House of terror"? Thats mostly dedicated to the victims of communism and to a lesser degree to victims of nazism. It was a sort of pilgrimage place for the radical right when their movement was in its infacy and they were heavily supported by Fidesz.

Which reminds me one of the key similarities between our times and the 30s: Fidesz turned to the far right to gain a solid core following to back their supposedly moderate policy, being confident of being able to control them. This was a key aspect of the early phase of Horthy's rule. He, -and the intellectuals around him most certainly- were not nazis or far right, but with the various social problems (magnified by the great depression) they needed the ever-growing far-right's support, so Horthy bended over for them. When the time came to break with them once and for all, in '44, he had to find that hey had infected all levels of leadership, so his bail from the war was probably the most pathetic attempt of statemanship during the entire conflict (basically he declared in radio that we are immediately out of the fighting [Romania style], but the overwhelming majority of the officers just ignored him, stalling the whole thing long enough for the germans to act and install the nazi government)

Fidesz is already at the point where its lovechild with the radical lunatics has grown to a dangerous size and is swooping up many voters. (this would be Jobbik of course).

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on April 09, 2010, 10:27:40 AM
"Terror Háza"? "House of terror"? Thats mostly dedicated to the victims of communism and to a lesser degree to victims of nazism. It was a sort of pilgrimage place for the radical right when their movement was in its infacy and they were heavily supported by Fidesz.

No no it was the big Hungarian history museum with all of Hungarian history in there.  Government thing...but the bitterness just oozed out whenever the Russians would come in and break shit like in 1849 and after WWII.  I mean they TRIED to be all objective about it of course.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2010, 10:06:36 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 09, 2010, 01:59:06 AM
Neoliberalism. :bleeding:

<_<

You have gone all left wing nutso on us haven't you?

I'm a proud social-democrat. That's hardly "left wing nutso".

Valmy

Tamas

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on April 09, 2010, 10:27:40 AM

That was an... interesting place.   :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Lettow77

Jobbik should make some noise about the lost crownlands of St. Stephen.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Tamas

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 09, 2010, 01:26:40 PM

:lol:

What do you think they are doing? For them, Trianon is the #1 cause of all hardship they have ever faced in their life, closely followed by gypsies and jews.

Lettow77

Well, then it's settled then, right?

In any case, Jobbik should be concerned about the reality that Hungarians do not win wars, and that any arbitration of the Treaty of Trianon without force is impossible.

I guess they can persecute jews and gypsies, though.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Queequeg

QuotePécs (cultural capital of the EU, 2010, btw)
Istanbul is!  :mad:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

The monarchy of St. Stephen doesn't exist.  The Republic of Hungary has no claim to them.

Tamas

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2010, 02:33:37 PM

The monarchy of St. Stephen doesn't exist.  The Republic of Hungary has no claim to them.

Oh right, yes. The Holy Crown Teaching (not sure about the translation of the last word) is also a major point of hungarian nazi lunaticism. St. Stephen's crown "was given by the Pope, it is the only such crown, so it is above all other monarch titles, and every treaty signed in the name of Hungary not endorsed by the Holy Crown is null and void". Yeah  I know the theory has holes. These fuckers has this strange myth going on where they dress shamanistic, drum on shaman drums (which is for them the über all of all musical instruments, being divine and all), but pray to the christian god, and especially Virgin Mary, who was our patron supposedly ("that places Hungary right below Jesus")

So the thing with Jobbik is that altough such lunatics are a very small minority of the country, they run rampant in the active part of the party (not to mention their militia the Magyar Guard), and for me it is impossible to tell just how much actual power they hold over the organization. But that organization is going to get around 17% of votes according to the polls, becoming 2nd biggest party. Personally I would not be surprised by 25%. Their popularity among the young, english speaking, internet-using, quite liberal-ish life living people I know is rampant, so I fear their popularity among the bigotted unwashed masses.