News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Another Languish EU3 game? Weeknights EST?

Started by Berkut, March 05, 2010, 01:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on April 15, 2010, 12:54:28 AM
Today is the day I learned about trade.  Today is also the day I realized how much money I was giving up by being such a poor trader.  I wish I learned my lesson a little sooner, before I dug myself into a tech hole.

Oh yeah, you and your 900 income are in such a terrible hole. You are doomed.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2010, 08:01:36 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 15, 2010, 12:54:28 AM
Today is the day I learned about trade.  Today is also the day I realized how much money I was giving up by being such a poor trader.  I wish I learned my lesson a little sooner, before I dug myself into a tech hole.

Oh yeah, you and your 900 income are in such a terrible hole. You are doomed.
I'm in a tech hole, not in a hole in general.

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2010, 07:55:35 AM
That chart cannot be right - Habbaku assured us after the war that he was now "weaker than the HRE" and how the HRE was going to run rampant without him to stop him.

So there is no way that the Ottomans can possibly still have that much more income than the HRE.

Could someone post the correct chart?

The HRE = Paper Tiger.   :(

DGuller

I am a little surprised that Ottomans have more income than HRE.  I know Habs is good, and the Middle East is not garbage, but still.

Kleves

It looks like, even with the loss of the Mamelukes and the Balkans, the Ottoman economy still grew by 130d. Whereas Russia's economy, despite my expansion, grew by only 90d.  :glare:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

DGuller

When I get home tonight, I'll analyze the save extensively.  I'm really stumped as to where the economic dynamism is coming from for the Ottomans.  Maybe I'll learn another thing or two about EU3.  I know we didn't completely bend the Ottomans over when we gang-banged him, but we should've put a little hurt on him.  :hmm:

Berkut

I think it comes from him owning the save.

0 rows returned

Berkut

I have no idea what I did to grow my income by 50%.

Despite DGs claims that I "expanded" in Asia, I actually conquered a grand total of 2 provinces, both from a war that was declared on me.

0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2010, 09:41:11 AM

Despite DGs claims that I "expanded" in Asia, I actually conquered a grand total of 2 provinces, both from a war that was declared on me.
Hmm, I really thought you did, when I saw all those wars down there, but I didn't keep count.  Of course, you did get 8 provinces in India.  It wasn't aggressive expansion, but it sure was expansion.

Did you expand by some other means, such as colonizing?  I recall seeing your province counter graph make a steady increase.

ulmont

Quote from: DGuller on April 15, 2010, 09:27:45 AM
When I get home tonight, I'll analyze the save extensively.  I'm really stumped as to where the economic dynamism is coming from for the Ottomans.

Habbaku is monopolizing a richer-than-hell CoT in Asia, and also has an insane production efficiency (Yay, Smithian Economics!).

When combined with the fact that he's taken a lot of useful decisions, and has a lot of territory, it's no surprise.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on April 15, 2010, 09:48:23 AM

Hmm, I really thought you did, when I saw all those wars down there, but I didn't keep count.  Of course, you did get 8 provinces in India.  It wasn't aggressive expansion, but it sure was expansion.

Did you expand by some other means, such as colonizing?  I recall seeing your province counter graph make a steady increase.

Yeah, continuing into the crappy American west. Not sure if I am just gimping my tech even more with that though.

0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2010, 09:52:10 AM
Yeah, continuing into the crappy American west. Not sure if I am just gimping my tech even more with that though.
Probably a little bit, but probably not too badly.  As far as I understand it, the trick with colonizing is to not do it too quickly, rather than not doing it too much.  You have to make sure that you have the modifiers in place to make good use of the colony, otherwise it's an inefficient burn of cash and tech speed.  IMO, in your situation, colonizing is much less of a folly than it was for me 50 years ago in Argentina.

ulmont

Also, guys, can we officially set the end time to 12:30?  I assumed it was 12:30, as I'm used to 4 hour games, and would vastly prefer not to end at 1:00.

sbr

This is where the colonizers really start to see the benefits.  You had nice increases in every income category across the board.  You had ~20 provinces in the Americas and India core, helping your tax base.  Colonial trade good prices are sky-rocketing helping both your tariffs and trade and your merchants were extremely busy.

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2010, 07:55:35 AM
That chart cannot be right - Habbaku assured us after the war that he was now "weaker than the HRE" and how the HRE was going to run rampant without him to stop him.

So there is no way that the Ottomans can possibly still have that much more income than the HRE.

:o Could it be that the sheer size of one's economy is not the sole determinant of power in this game?

By your rubric, Spain is poised to conquer the world, and we all know that's laughably untrue.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien