BREAKING: Vermont legalizes same-sex marriage

Started by Caliga, April 07, 2009, 11:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on April 07, 2009, 12:54:49 PM
Exactly, I'm shocked that Yi is shocked.  Giuliani, Romney, Pataki, Bloomberg, all were Republicans when elected.
And none of them were elected in Vermont.

derspiess

Quote from: Faeelin on April 07, 2009, 01:26:39 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2009, 11:37:11 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 07, 2009, 11:33:41 AM
How long will it take before opposing gay marriage becomes politically taboo in the US.  In Canada it took about one Federal election.

It'll take much longer than that.  It's going to be a very, very tough battle in the South.
We'll see.

Right, now, a third of Americans support gay marriage; a third support civil unions.  I think it is probable that most or all of the Northeast will have gay marriage by 2012, with civil unions in Illinois, Oregon, Washington, and California.

Once you get to that point, you're talking about hundreds of millions of Americans who live in states where gays are forming families with state recognition, and the world not ending.

My guess is a supreme court case sometime in the 2020s, but I could be wrong.

:lol: You don't live where Cal & I live.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on April 07, 2009, 01:33:28 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on April 07, 2009, 01:26:39 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2009, 11:37:11 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 07, 2009, 11:33:41 AM
How long will it take before opposing gay marriage becomes politically taboo in the US.  In Canada it took about one Federal election.

It'll take much longer than that.  It's going to be a very, very tough battle in the South.
We'll see.

Right, now, a third of Americans support gay marriage; a third support civil unions.  I think it is probable that most or all of the Northeast will have gay marriage by 2012, with civil unions in Illinois, Oregon, Washington, and California.

Once you get to that point, you're talking about hundreds of millions of Americans who live in states where gays are forming families with state recognition, and the world not ending.

My guess is a supreme court case sometime in the 2020s, but I could be wrong.

You live together? :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

@ Faeelin

The issue is that nearly all of these states have constitutional bans and legislatures hostile to the idea.  Plus you're naive if you think many people in the South aren't deeply homophobic.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2009, 01:37:44 PM
@ Faeelin

The issue is that nearly all of these states have constitutional bans and legislatures hostile to the idea.  Plus you're naive if you think many people in the South aren't deeply homophobic.

Jesus hates gayness.  This I know, For the Bible tells me so..
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

It annoyed the living fuck out of me when they voted a ban into the Ohio constitution. Then I read Marti's posts over time and I'm not that annoyed anymore.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

I wonder if Martinus would hate Vermont if he found out about their gun laws.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Faeelin

@ Faeelin

No, I readily acknowledge it. I am just saying that I think that once the majority of the nation trends has accepted gay marriage, the south will get dragged along by the untrammeled power of, to quote Hans, a Supreme Court who makes up claims based upon hippy tea leaf readings. State constitutional bans would be unconstitutional given the Federal Constitution.

As a better legal argument, I'd expect a court to find that DoMA is unconstitutional first.

Faeelin

Quote from: derspiess on April 07, 2009, 01:33:28 PM

I guess I wasn't being clear. My feeling is that the South will get dragged along against its will by one of two means.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 07, 2009, 01:32:38 PM
And none of them were elected in Vermont.
Not in Vermont, but in fruity states nonetheless.

Caliga

Quote from: Habbaku on April 07, 2009, 01:55:06 PM
I wonder if Martinus would hate Vermont if he found out about their gun laws.

What gun laws? :lol:

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Faeelin on April 07, 2009, 02:00:14 PMI guess I wasn't being clear. My feeling is that the South will get dragged along against its will by one of two means.

I agree that a Supreme Court ruling on the issue in favor of gay marriage is possible, but you simply won't see justices of the peace, county clerks, etc. in places like rural Alabama and Mississippi cooperating.  This has very little potential for disorder and violence like the Civil Rights Movement, though, simply because gays from those areas for the most part are either in deep denial or have fled, so there is less potential for confrontation (obviously that wasn't the case with blacks).