Halal Burger 'Discrimination' Stirs Debate in France

Started by citizen k, February 26, 2010, 03:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on February 26, 2010, 01:17:32 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 26, 2010, 01:09:01 PM
Is halal any different tastewise?

Do you believe that bacon, ham or other pork tastes different from turkey or beef?
:unsure:
Halal doesn't just mean acceptable meats. There's halal and non halal chicken too.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Halal Chicken taste exactly like non-halal Chicken.

Thats the my point earlier. Unless you are actually looking to eat pork, Halal vs non-halal isn't differente taste wise.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 26, 2010, 02:16:21 PM
Halal Chicken taste exactly like non-halal Chicken.

Thats the my point earlier. Unless you are actually looking to eat pork, Halal vs non-halal isn't differente taste wise.
That's always been my experience.  Dunno why the marti's of the world want the gubmint to save us from differences that are meaningless.  I guess he just loves Big Government.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on February 26, 2010, 06:20:13 AM
I don't think this fits the definition of discrimination, no. However, this is causing outrage, because it is perceived as a "concession" to islam, and thus a symptom of the creeping islamization (like the removal of piggy banks from some UK banks some time ago).
That reeks of Daily Mail bullshit.  My bank:
http://www.natwest.com/personal.ashx
Has a piggy bank on their banner for ISAs and does indeed give them away.  No other bank would allow a piggy gap to develop between them and Natwest.

QuoteThat's always been my experience.  Dunno why the marti's of the world want the gubmint to save us from differences that are meaningless.  I guess he just loves Big Government.
There is an argument not over taste, but over animal welfare to do with halal meat and, more particularly, kosher meat.
Let's bomb Russia!

citizen k

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 26, 2010, 11:14:14 PM
There is an argument not over taste, but over animal welfare to do with halal meat and, more particularly, kosher meat.

And the argument is ...     :huh:

Scipio

Quote from: citizen k on February 26, 2010, 11:29:13 PM

The meat tastes worse when the animal screams.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Sheilbh

Islam requires the animal to be alive when it's slaughtered and slaughter has to be with a very sharp knife (I believe it's sharpened ever 10 kills) slitting the throat.  In the UK (a major halal meat exporter) though not most of Europe that's taken to mean that general the animal can be stunned and then have its throat slit - though this is a pretty strongly contested bit of Sharia law so both co-exist.  There aren't, alas, any labels to distinguish them.  Judaism is, I believe, more strict and stunning isn't allowed - I think it's largely because the stunners are electric and so cause a blemish on the skin of the animal which is forbidden.

I believe that under British animal welfare law were it not for their religious significance both non-stunned halal butchery and kosher slaughter would be illegal.  Generally non-Halal, non-Kosher meat will come from an animal that was stunned and so died painlessly.  That's especially the case because I believe the slit throat non-stunned method can leave the animal dying for a while.
Let's bomb Russia!

citizen k

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 26, 2010, 11:36:22 PM

Islam requires the animal to be alive when it's slaughtered and slaughter has to be with a very sharp knife (I believe it's sharpened ever 10 kills) slitting the throat.  In the UK (a major halal meat exporter) though not most of Europe that's taken to mean that general the animal can be stunned and then have its throat slit - though this is a pretty strongly contested bit of Sharia law so both co-exist.  There aren't, alas, any labels to distinguish them.  Judaism is, I believe, more strict and stunning isn't allowed - I think it's largely because the stunners are electric and so cause a blemish on the skin of the animal which is forbidden.

I believe that under British animal welfare law were it not for their religious significance both non-stunned halal butchery and kosher slaughter would be illegal.  Generally non-Halal, non-Kosher meat will come from an animal that was stunned and so died painlessly.  That's especially the case because I believe the slit throat non-stunned method can leave the animal dying for a while.

Good thing those people don't realize how silly they look with their sky fairy taboos. Grown people... it would be sad if it wasn't so amusing.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on February 27, 2010, 04:20:15 AM
Good thing those people don't realize how silly they look with their sky fairy taboos.

How do you think they'd react if they realized how silly they look to modern Westerners? I'm guessing they might not take it so well. Maybe even kill themselves.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Ok, so far two good arguments against eating halal/kosher food:
- I don't want to contribute money to religious functionaries who are on the expense list of producing this kind of food,
- animal cruelty.

Will have to start avoiding places that serve that kind of food. :)

Jaron

I recall that the American coffee chain Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf has all their snack food certified kosher. Same deal pretty much, they paid a rabbi to oversee or bless the food or whatever it is they do.

I doubt anyone in the priesthood of any organized, conservative religion would approve of your lifestyle choices, Marcinek.

I don't know why you fly off the handle about everything so much.

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on February 27, 2010, 05:18:47 AM
I doubt anyone in the priesthood of any organized, conservative religion would approve of your lifestyle choices, Marcinek.

Err, that's pretty much my point, idiot. I don't want my money to go to these people, so I won't pay a dime for anything that's certified as "kosher" or "halal".

Syt

The market closest to my home has almost exclusively stands that have bearded butchers who advertise "halal" meat. One or two also advertise their produce in cyrillc, e.g. kolbasa.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.