Halal Burger 'Discrimination' Stirs Debate in France

Started by citizen k, February 26, 2010, 03:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: starbright on February 26, 2010, 11:12:45 AM
Burger + bacon = fat.

Burger + turkey = yuk.
What about Burger + turkey bacon?  Some of that stuff is pretty good.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Viking

Tamer the compound manager in Alexandria told me he could get me anything, until I asked for Bacon.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Capetan Mihali

Pretty much every food cart on the street in Philadelphia is halal.  Never even considered it would be an issue.   :huh:

I don't think they are using meat certified by a cleric or anything, just indicating the use of beef or turkey bacon rather than pork.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Martinus

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 26, 2010, 10:47:20 AM
So a state owned consortium owns Quick, meaning France has state-owned fast food joints?
God France sucks.

I agree. I would much better like to live in a country like America, where many big companies are owned by consortia controlled by the Chinese or the Saudi governments.  :)

Josquius

Quote from: Malthus on February 26, 2010, 10:41:40 AM
Seems pretty simple.

Government requiring restaurant to be halal = outrage

Restaurant management deciding to go halal = no outrage

Don't like halal = don't eat there
Is halal any different tastewise?
It all seems the same to me...though I do love a halal chicken place back in Newcastle I think thats just because its nice in its own right rather than anything halal has done.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 26, 2010, 01:05:26 PM
Pretty much every food cart on the street in Philadelphia is halal.  Never even considered it would be an issue.   :huh:

I don't think they are using meat certified by a cleric or anything, just indicating the use of beef or turkey bacon rather than pork.

That's retarded. Pig is the magical animal. Turkey bacon FTL.

Capetan Mihali

Also, isn't virtually every can of mixed nuts or other nondescript food item in America kosher-certified to some extent?  I remember a classic thread with Lucianus back in the old days about this.  Nobody here seems to care that you "can't" buy non-kosher cashews...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Martinus

Well it's a bit different - I don't hate Judaism as much as I hate Islam, for one.

One thing someone pointed out to me, though, is that pretty much 90% of all nuts sold in Poland come from Iran - so now I carefully check the bags for the crop origin, and don't buy it if it comes from there.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Martinus on February 26, 2010, 01:09:21 PM

It makes perfect sense.   :huh:  The owner/operators are mostly Muslim.  A fair minority of their customers are (mainly Black) Muslims.  The overwhelming majority of their other customers don't care.  And there are plenty of other places to seek out "the magical animal" if one so desires...

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on February 26, 2010, 01:09:01 PM

Do you believe that bacon, ham or other pork tastes different from turkey or beef?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Martinus on February 26, 2010, 01:16:17 PM
Well it's a bit different - I don't hate Judaism as much as I hate Islam, for one.

:lol:

One thing someone pointed out to me, though, is that pretty much 90% of all nuts sold in Poland come from Iran - so now I carefully check the bags for the crop origin, and don't buy it if it comes from there.

My cashews are some unholy mixture of Indian, Vietnamese, Indonesian, and Brazilian nuts.   :huh:

Martinus

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 26, 2010, 01:16:38 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 26, 2010, 01:09:21 PM

It makes perfect sense.   :huh:  The owner/operators are mostly Muslim.  A fair minority of their customers are (mainly Black) Muslims.  The overwhelming majority of their other customers don't care.  And there are plenty of other places to seek out "the magical animal" if one so desires...

Ok. From your post, you made it sound like halal was the only kind of meat you could get in the area.

The Brain

I was once forced by circumstance to eat non-pork sausage (I was stuck at lunchtime in a very "Southern" neighborhood). I threw up a little in my mouth.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on February 26, 2010, 01:09:01 PM
It all seems the same to me...though I do love a halal chicken place back in Newcastle I think thats just because its nice in its own right rather than anything halal has done.

Beef Bacon is the worst curse ever placed on humanity.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Martinus on February 26, 2010, 01:08:04 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 26, 2010, 10:47:20 AM
So a state owned consortium owns Quick, meaning France has state-owned fast food joints?
God France sucks.

I agree. I would much better like to live in a country like America, where many big companies are owned by consortia controlled by the Chinese or the Saudi governments.  :)

:mellow:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help