Obama refuses to support UK sovereignty over Falklands

Started by Hansmeister, February 25, 2010, 06:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2010, 03:42:26 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2010, 02:10:17 PM
Quote from: Martim Silva on February 26, 2010, 12:20:44 PM
Americas bloc excluding US and Canada agreed
I think that such a bloc is perfectly fair.  None of them have much chance to get into NATO, so they should be able to set up another organization for NATO-wannabes.  Sorta the South American Equivalent of the NIT.

An NIT consisting of teams with losing records, maybe :)

Did you see the video of Chavez ranting about Bush and the power goes out on it? Hilarious.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 26, 2010, 05:55:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 26, 2010, 02:14:56 PM
What impresses me is that Hans doesn't miss a beat.  He makes a statement about Obama and when thinking people notice it is utterly meaningless he just moves on like it didn't happen.

It's like a Glenn Beck IED.  A Hansgrenade.
:lol:

That was rather witty.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Warspite on February 25, 2010, 06:59:20 PM
IIRC he's just continuing the standard US policy towards the dispute?
Yep.  During the Falklands war the US Administration was ambivalent, at best.  Only Cap Weinberger really supported the UK.  In that war our only real ally was France - as has been the case since the entente cordiale.
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

I have no doubt that if Argentina invaded the Falklands again, the US would continue to profess our neutrality while supplying the UK with intelligence and support.

Which is, of course, As It Should Be.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 26, 2010, 07:30:40 PM
Quote from: Warspite on February 25, 2010, 06:59:20 PM
IIRC he's just continuing the standard US policy towards the dispute?
Yep.  During the Falklands war the US Administration was ambivalent, at best.  Only Cap Weinberger really supported the UK.  In that war our only real ally was France - as has been the case since the entente cordiale.

Shame about the French rockets that sank your ship though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on February 27, 2010, 02:28:33 PM
The weren't rockets and weren't French.  They were missiles, and they were Argentinian.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2010, 03:19:31 PM
The weren't rockets and weren't French.  They were missiles, and they were Argentinian.
They might be rockets again some day.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

The French immediately supported us.  They gave us the fighter planes they'd sold to the Argies so that the RAF could train against them.  They also gave us all details about Exocet missiles so that the military knew what to expect and MI6 could try to sabotage them and helped the British orchestrate a secret mission so that the Argies would always be outbid for Exocet missiles (which they desperately needed) even though the French wouldn't receive the money and Britain wouldn't receive the weapons.

The US eventually helped us (and to give him his due Weinberger promised, immediately, that the US would help) but only after the State Department (who generally wanted a face-saving negotiated settlement for Galtieri) had spent a lot of time, not to mention Jeane Kirkpatrick's performance.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 27, 2010, 07:55:13 PM
The US eventually helped us (and to give him his due Weinberger promised, immediately, that the US would help) but only after the State Department (who generally wanted a face-saving negotiated settlement for Galtieri) had spent a lot of time, not to mention Jeane Kirkpatrick's performance.
The US Navy went to Britain's aid immediately, which led to a mini-scandal inside the service, as it turned out that some aircraft engines, POL, and (I think) some AIM-9L missiles went to the UK considerably in advance of official authorization.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Warspite

Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2010, 08:51:19 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 27, 2010, 07:55:13 PM
The US Navy went to Britain's aid immediately, which led to a mini-scandal inside the service, as it turned out that some aircraft engines, POL, and (I think) some AIM-9L missiles went to the UK considerably in advance of official authorization.

There was a lot of help from the US with intelligence and use of bases.

Wasn't there even talk of sending a carrier in case of loss of hermes and Ark Royal?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2010, 08:51:19 PM
Yeah.  My impressions are shaped by the British Ambassador in Washington and the Defence Minister's books which deal with the subject.  The general view they both had was that the DoD helped and that Weinberger was very strong from the start and that Haig came around in the end, but that the State Department was more-or-less institutionally pro-Argie and the Administration as a whole was tepid for quite some time - understandably, two American allies were going to war.
Let's bomb Russia!