And we're back!

Main Menu

Movies you've recently watched

Started by FunkMonk, March 10, 2009, 08:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

The Day the Earth stood still (both versions).

Yeah................
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

vinraith

Quote from: Caliga on May 13, 2009, 07:26:13 AM
Quote from: vinraith on May 12, 2009, 10:21:16 PM4.5 red paintballs of death out of 10

IOW you actually liked it, but because you earlier proclaimed it would have to be garbage, and your stubborn nature refuses to allow you to admit that you could have been mistaken, this is the highest score you could give it. :P

:lol: Whatever you need to believe, Tim.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on May 13, 2009, 07:26:13 AM
IOW you actually liked it, but because you earlier proclaimed it would have to be garbage, and your stubborn nature refuses to allow you to admit that you could have been mistaken, this is the highest score you could give it. :P

That's what I felt when I was reading through it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 13, 2009, 10:25:19 AM

Yeah................
Saw the new one.  Wanted most of them shot.
PDH!

vinraith

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 13, 2009, 10:25:19 AM

Yeah................

The new one's a disaster, of course, but everyone knew that going in. The original's a classic, but outside its place and time it's not what I'd call entertaining.

BuddhaRhubarb

Notorious - HBO vers of the Life of Biggie Smalls. well done for what it is. enjoyable and oddly lighthearted despite the fact that 2 of the main characters die. (non-spoiler if you are up on yr 90's rap history)

7.5 "n" words used so much I'm scared I might start dropping them in daily conversation today. (Need to watch some Andy Griffith or something to bleach my tongue) outta 10
:p

Eddie Teach

Quote from: vinraith on May 13, 2009, 10:41:54 AM

You had a lot more nice things to say than I would about a movie I rated under 5.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Valmy

I watched Star Trek Monday.  I was amused to see that actor from Heroes in it since supposedly so many actors from Star Trek appeared in that show.

I also found it amusing that even though I never saw any of the original series episodes or movies (the only reason I went was because my wife is a big Trek fan) I knew each of the characters without them having to introduce themselves.  (Oh that's Scotty...oh that's Bones...and so forth)  I guess it just goes to show how much that show infiltrated our culture, or at least our nerd culture.

Despite some really bizarre things from a science and common sense perspective I really liked it.  If...er I mean when...they make another Star Trek film I will probably catch it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2009, 12:54:12 PM
(the only reason I went was because my wife is a big Trek fan)

Excellent pick.  :cool:

DisturbedPervert

Star Trek was ok.  Not horrible, but not especially good either.  Frankly I'm not that interested in a reboot being only a movie series, you can't really do much in 90 minutes every 3 years.  If I'm going to be at all interested they need a weekly tv show.  I'll see the next one, but I'm not particularly excited about it.

vinraith

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 13, 2009, 12:43:56 PM
Quote from: vinraith on May 13, 2009, 10:41:54 AM

You had a lot more nice things to say than I would about a movie I rated under 5.

Then you numerically score differently than I do. Ultimately, as any reviewer would say, you should take the review over the number score if you feel there's a disconnect. That said, the problem is that most of the good elements get a significant minority of the screen time. I'd say I enjoyed 1/3 or so of the total run-time of the film, hence the sub-5 score. What was good was quite good, what was bad was quite bad. Was I supposed to give a good score to a movie I almost walked out of after the first 40 minutes? I tried to be fair in evaluating it, you see where that got me.

vinraith

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on May 13, 2009, 01:14:14 PM
Star Trek was ok.  Not horrible, but not especially good either.  Frankly I'm not that interested in a reboot being only a movie series, you can't really do much in 90 minutes every 3 years.  If I'm going to be at all interested they need a weekly tv show.  I'll see the next one, but I'm not particularly excited about it.

I had the same thought. A series would also be beneficial because it would provide a much better venue for smaller, more focused (and coherent) plots and allow more time for the actors to make the "new" old cast characters their own. Conversely, a shorter running time would allow less time for the kind of sap, cornball "humor," and unadulterated cheese that drug down the film. I really do wish they'd recast Spock, though.

And hey, if it sucked, TV shows are fundamentally easier to ignore than big-budget, mega-hyped movies.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2009, 12:54:12 PM
I watched Star Trek Monday.  I was amused to see that actor from Heroes in it since supposedly so many actors from Star Trek appeared in that show.

:huh:

Were there any besides Takei?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?