News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Movies you've recently watched

Started by FunkMonk, March 10, 2009, 08:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Chose to go along? She had just received a promotion at a civilian job. She ran away because she was embarrassed that she didn't actually no how to read and thus wouldn't be able to handle the promotion...but the bitch isn't embarrassed at all about what she did to the Jews?!  She made the choice to go and seek out the SS.  While it is nice of Ebert to envisage a moralizing message, he should pick one that is actually appropriate to the events of the film.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

syk

Død snø Fun trash movie.

*edited screwed url

CountDeMoney

Breaker Morant.  As far as military courtroom dramas go, it smokes A Few Good Men.  End of story.

Ed Anger

Last night...

Spies Like Us

Remember, watch out for the Tajik highway patrol.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

History is showing the 90 minute documentary about Verdun again. Most of it is play scenes, based on letters from French and German soldiers - one pro and one anti war each, plus a few select characters, like the Kronprinz, Joffre, the commander of a French fort, a German Jewish doctor ...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Did you guys know there's a Starship Troopers *three*?

Saw Zohan last night.  It was OK.  One thing about Adam Sandler movies you know the female lead is going to be easy on the eyes.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Kekko Kamen, Surprise!

This is one of a series of Japanese films following the adventures of Kekko Kamen.  In this film there is a girl's conservatory on a remote island where the girls are subject to bondage and humiliation as training to become high priced call girls for classical music fans.  They are saved by Kekko Kamen, a nunchuka wielding super heroine who's costume is a red mask, red boots, a long scarf and nothing else.

Despite the premise the movie delivers a surprisingly sensitive portrayal.  While you feel sympathy for the girls you can also understand the motives of the villains...

Okay, I'm lying.  The movie alternates between toilet humor, torture scenes and Kekko Kamen's bare breasts.  The budget is below an episode of The Land of the Lost.  Kekko Kamen moves her arms when she talks like a Mighty Morphin Power Ranger. 

In action scenes, when the scarf is insufficient to cover Kekko Kamen's pudenda a bright white light shines forth from her crotch.  I thought that was a handy power; she'd never need a night light and if she held the book far enough away she could read in bed.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Habsburg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2009, 10:46:00 AM
Breaker Morant.  As far as military courtroom dramas go, it smokes A Few Good Men.  End of story.

OMG... :mmm: ....I love this film.

vinraith

Got talked into seeing Star Trek (for free) with a group of friends. It was not at all the experience I expected.

The Good: Simon Pegg's a brilliant Scotty, Chris Pine manages to do a reasonably entertaining/cocky Kirk without doing a Shatner impression. Pike's great. There are some genuinely funny moments, some genuinely good space battle SFX, and some decent action sequences. In general, the actors do pretty well with the material they're given. Overall not the disaster I was expecting.

The Bad: A completely incoherent and nonsensical plot (even by Star Trek standards), dozens of groan-inducing "homage" moments involving lines from other contexts, the entire first 45 minutes is cringe inducing sap and painful fan service back story, Zachary Quinto sucks, a peculiar abundance of out-of-place and unfunny screwball humor, and a general lack of any kind of technological, scientific, or narrative sense in pretty much everything (again, even by Star Trek standards).

Overall I couldn't call it good, but it does leave open a certain hope that everything wrong with this movie (with the probable exception of Quinto) could be corrected in the sequels. In other words, it's not impossible this rebooted franchise could turn into something entertaining after all, and that's a pleasant surprise IMO.

4.5 red paintballs of death out of 10

katmai

There Will be Blood

It was alright, but probably my least favorite of Paul Thomas Anderson's work, but yet 10 times better than Paul W.S. Anderson has ever done.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Queequeg

Quote from: katmai on May 12, 2009, 10:24:11 PM
There Will be Blood

It was alright, but probably my least favorite of Paul Thomas Anderson's work, but yet 10 times better than Paul W.S. Anderson has ever done.
:mad:

How dare you mention their names together!  Infidel! 

Its also as good as anything Wes Anderson ever did.  And PT Anderson is better than Wes.   :ph34r:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Caliga

Quote from: vinraith on May 12, 2009, 10:21:16 PM4.5 red paintballs of death out of 10

IOW you actually liked it, but because you earlier proclaimed it would have to be garbage, and your stubborn nature refuses to allow you to admit that you could have been mistaken, this is the highest score you could give it. :P
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point