News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Movies you've recently watched

Started by FunkMonk, March 10, 2009, 08:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

Paranormal Activity. Wasn't as scary as it was cracked up to be, but it wasn't bad.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

PRC

Watched Herzog's "Grizzly Man" about a strange guy who spends his summers with Grizzly Bears up in an Alaska park reserve.  The point of the film I think, from Herzog anyways, is exactly as the director states in the movie, "the common character of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility, and murder."  Timothy Treadwell is the "Grizzly Man" who shot the video of himself and who is clearly a nutjob despite his "good intentions" and clear love of animals.  Calling him a bear expert may be a misnomer... Treadwell obviously knows bears, he knows how to act around them, including standing up to aggressive ones close enough to touch, but as displayed in the film, he actually thinks he is a bear.  Treadwell really does do more harm than good by acclimatizing the bears to humans and he winds up getting himself and his girlfriend eaten by them. 

BuddhaRhubarb

heh, that quote from Herzog applies to all his movies, actually (and is likely on his family crest) . I think the only person who thought of Treadwell as a "bear expert" was Treadwell.

I however just watched "Taken" starring Zeus himself as an ex CIA agent whose daughter is kidnapped by Albanians and sold to Arabs. He goes to Paris and kills all the Albanians there, shoots some Frenchies and Arabs along the way. Movie is a hoot. Good action, most bare bones of plot, dialogue.

475 dead Albanians outta 10
:p

Cerr

Perrier's Bounty. Enjoyable Dublin gangster flick.

The Ghost. Hitchcockian type thriller that's well worth watching. Goes on for a bit too long though. Parts of it reminded me of Shutter Island.

BuddhaRhubarb

my weekend of watching movies I needn't have bothered with comes to a close with Nazi Tom Cruise trying to kill Hitler. Works out as well as you might expect given that premise. Wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen, but it wasn't that good either.

:mellow: to the point that I may need to watch Inglourious Basterds tonight in order to purge the :mellow: from my brain.

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on April 10, 2010, 11:43:09 PM
Watched Herzog's "Grizzly Man" about a strange guy who spends his summers with Grizzly Bears up in an Alaska park reserve.  The point of the film I think, from Herzog anyways, is exactly as the director states in the movie, "the common character of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility, and murder."  Timothy Treadwell is the "Grizzly Man" who shot the video of himself and who is clearly a nutjob despite his "good intentions" and clear love of animals.  Calling him a bear expert may be a misnomer... Treadwell obviously knows bears, he knows how to act around them, including standing up to aggressive ones close enough to touch, but as displayed in the film, he actually thinks he is a bear.  Treadwell really does do more harm than good by acclimatizing the bears to humans and he winds up getting himself and his girlfriend eaten by them.

Yeah, an interesting movie.  Never really answers the question whether Treadwell was a kook or a guy with great intentions, or what.

Some beautiful footage of Alaska, and of bears, though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 11, 2010, 01:52:34 AM
I however just watched "Taken" starring Zeus himself as an ex CIA agent whose daughter is kidnapped by Albanians and sold to Arabs. He goes to Paris and kills all the Albanians there, shoots some Frenchies and Arabs along the way. Movie is a hoot. Good action, most bare bones of plot, dialogue.

475 dead Albanians outta 10

Starring zeus? Eh?

That was a surprisingly good film anyway. Everyone did expect it to be just a typical crappy b-movie.
██████
██████
██████

MadBurgerMaker

Finally saw Avatar on Saturday.  It was visually pleasing, although the shitty 3D that I could have done without made everything rather dark.  The story was predictable, and it was probably about a half hour too long.  Really kind of "meh" overall.  Not terrible, not awesome.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Syt on October 23, 2009, 01:00:25 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 23, 2009, 12:56:56 PM
Quote from: Syt on October 23, 2009, 12:48:26 PM
Not a huge fan of Fassbinder, but his 15 hour version of "Berlin, Alexanderplatz" is epic. And his 1970s "World on a Wire", based on a sci-fi novel, is an early precursor to Matrix.

Hmm, never seen "World on a Wire."  Have to look for it

May be hard to find as it's not yet released on DVD due to a copyright struggle. It's based on the book Simulacron-3 by Daniel F. Galouye

I'm making a special trip to NY to see "World On A Wire" at the MoMA on restored 35mm print.  :w00t:  With an introductory talk by Juliane Lorenz, who I have mixed feelings about... I just hope it doesn't sell out, since they don't let you buy tickets online.   :hmm:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

BuddhaRhubarb

Finally got around to watching Moore's "Capitalism: A Love Story". Didn't learn much I didn't already know (and despair of) except the part about big corps taking out life insurance on employees. :blink: How is that shit legal?

I am less optimistic than I was yesterday. (which wasn't very.) :(  (Yes I know that Moore is a bit of an exploiter of human misery, but compared to these big banks (or say "reality" televison, or "the news"... etc) he's a piker.

:monocle: :monocle: :monocle: :monocle:

Barrister

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 14, 2010, 12:38:39 PM
except the part about big corps taking out life insurance on employees. :blink: How is that shit legal?

Why wouldn't it be legal?

The company has an insurable interest - if they're willing to pay the premiums they can do whatever they want.

Josquius

In keeping with discovering shows I was too young to enjoy when they were new I've started watching the Sopranos. Its very very good. The theme tune sounds very GTA 2 though..
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on April 14, 2010, 12:44:14 PM
The company has an insurable interest - if they're willing to pay the premiums they can do whatever they want.

Well, presumably not getting insurance on employees and then having them whacked.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DisturbedPervert

I watched Hot Tub Time Machine the other day.  What a surprise, I can't believe it was actually good given it really does have a time traveling hot tub.  Better than most of the recent over sentimental comedies.

Barrister

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 14, 2010, 01:12:00 PM
I watched Hot Tub Time Machine the other day.  What a surprise, I can't believe it was actually good given it really does have a time traveling hot tub.  Better than most of the recent over sentimental comedies.

Why is that a surprise?  As soon as I heard about the movie I thought 'time travelling hot tub' = comedy gold.