News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Movies you've recently watched

Started by FunkMonk, March 10, 2009, 08:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Josquius

Bill and Ted's excellent adventure- truly the best film ever.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on October 22, 2009, 07:45:54 AM
Bill and Ted's excellent adventure- truly the best film ever.

Keanu Reeves' best role.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 20, 2009, 10:21:11 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 19, 2009, 09:49:55 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on October 19, 2009, 08:01:50 PM
Got my annual Casablanca watch in last night. :thumbsup:

Going to go catch a restored archival print of Touch of Evil on the big screen Thursday night myself.  Art houses FTW.

God I'm jealous.    :cry:

As well you should be.  It looked great, very crisp.  Nobody made smoke look sexier than Marlene Dietrich.

Lettow77

Just watched Innocence, a pretentious french film.

Man, what a stinker. One of the worst things I have ever watched.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

The Brain

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 23, 2009, 04:50:50 AM
Just watched Innocence, a pretentious french film.

Man, what a stinker. One of the worst things I have ever watched.

Why did you watch it? Honeykitten made you?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

The Masque of the Red Death, part of the 8 Corman horror movies I plan to watch the rest of this month.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

Sylvia Scarlett (1933):

Katherine Hepburn dresses up as a slim and willowy boy in order to help her father flee to England.  There they meet up with jewel smuggler Cary Grant and form a road show.  The whole thing eventually plays out like The Twelfth Night.  At the time the film was a notorious bomb (in one of Hepburn's long string of notorious bombs) today it's recognized as a classic and the break out performance of Cary Grant. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

BuddhaRhubarb

"Walk On The Wild Side" by Ed Dmytryk. based on the Algren book of the same name. starring the ever noirtastic Laurence Harvey, Babs Stanwyck, and a young (and most amazingly assed) Jane Fonda as Kitty Twist. Fun, fast paced tale of doomed love. Like in real life nobody gets any. though they have lots of drama queen fun trying. titles have kitties, and great "hep" music. well crafted fun.

8.76587 French sculptresses/high end hookers looking for louvre outta 10
:p

Capetan Mihali

"The Third Man" was on cable Wednesday night.  One of my all-time favorites.  Joseph Cotten is really one of the underrated greats of Hollywood.

Also re-watched "Veronika Voss," from 1982, Fassbinder's second-to-last movie. Set in 1955 about a former Nazi starlet addicted to morphine.  Truly wacky, intense, and moving. 

RIP RWF.  :weep:

Great use of American 50s hillbilly music in the movie too.  This song features in a particularly dramatic scene:  Lee Hazlewood, "Run Boy Run"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuypxAE-q0Y
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

ulmont

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 23, 2009, 12:40:09 PM
"The Third Man" was on cable Wednesday night.  One of my all-time favorites.
:x

Syt

Not a huge fan of Fassbinder, but his 15 hour version of "Berlin, Alexanderplatz" is epic. And his 1970s "World on a Wire", based on a sci-fi novel, is an early precursor to Matrix.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: ulmont on October 23, 2009, 12:46:05 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 23, 2009, 12:40:09 PM
"The Third Man" was on cable Wednesday night.  One of my all-time favorites.
:x

:huh:  What disgusts you?  The movie?  Cable? Wednesdays?  My enjoyment of it?   :D
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Syt on October 23, 2009, 12:48:26 PM
Not a huge fan of Fassbinder, but his 15 hour version of "Berlin, Alexanderplatz" is epic. And his 1970s "World on a Wire", based on a sci-fi novel, is an early precursor to Matrix.

Hmm, never seen "World on a Wire."  Have to look for it.  He also acted in, but didn't direct, a pretty nutty futuristic/thriller movie, "Kamikaze 1989" (from 1982 :lol:).

Syt

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 23, 2009, 12:56:56 PM
Quote from: Syt on October 23, 2009, 12:48:26 PM

Hmm, never seen "World on a Wire."  Have to look for it

May be hard to find as it's not yet released on DVD due to a copyright struggle. It's based on the book Simulacron-3 by Daniel F. Galouye
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.