News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Movies you've recently watched

Started by FunkMonk, March 10, 2009, 08:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alatriste

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 20, 2009, 01:16:55 AM
And yet somehow the "I was with the Americans in 1918 when they blundered into Berlin" line exists.  :face:

Well, he was with the marines when they returned to the American Embassy. Who would have guessed they got lost and met young Renault sipping coffee in Unter den Linden?

Josquius

Big Nothing- A film starring David Schwimmer and Simon Pegg, apparently filme in the Isle of Man.
So I was intruigingly expecting some British comedy, perhaps a typical fish out of water thingy with a big city Yank trying to live in Mann.
But...
errr....noo....
Its set in the US. Very very strange. Especially Pegg's odd accent.
Its a black comedy and is overall meh.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Venture Brothers restarted.

I can't kill Hitler, he's the only thing I've ever loved!
PDH!

Cerr

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 19, 2009, 05:54:57 PM
Quote from: Cerr on October 19, 2009, 01:37:26 PM
Up. It was ok. Not really sure why some critics were raving about it. There were some funny bits in it but it was pretty much a standard formulaic Pixar film.

The old man was awesome.
Which one?  ;)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Cerr on October 20, 2009, 07:32:52 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 19, 2009, 05:54:57 PM
Quote from: Cerr on October 19, 2009, 01:37:26 PM
Up. It was ok. Not really sure why some critics were raving about it. There were some funny bits in it but it was pretty much a standard formulaic Pixar film.

The old man was awesome.
Which one?  ;)

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 19, 2009, 09:49:55 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on October 19, 2009, 08:01:50 PM
Got my annual Casablanca watch in last night. :thumbsup:

Going to go catch a restored archival print of Touch of Evil on the big screen Thursday night myself.  Art houses FTW.

God I'm jealous.    :cry: 
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

BuddhaRhubarb

Anvil: The Story Of Anvil!

Hilarious apparently "serious" doc about Metallica etc progenitors Anvil, a Canadian band who got nowhere, compared to many of their contemporaries, who were doing their thing.

Why? Stupidity mostly. Never bothering to get a manager? many many entertaining reasons for their failure to be more than the Hosers that they are. In Canadian Metal you don't get a Lars, a Rob Halford, or a Lemmy: you get Bob and Doug clones with Metal hair.

Tongues are sometimes in film makers' cheeks but in a fairly respectful way. Great little doc that should give you a good indication as to what it's like for 99.9% of Canadian musicians "living The dream". Makes Fubar seem like neo-realism.

9.0 spinal tap visual homages outta 10
:p

Kleves

I enjoyed the Czech guy who tried to pay them in goulash.  ^_^
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Josquius

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 21, 2009, 01:13:50 AM
Anvil: The Story Of Anvil!

Hilarious apparently "serious" doc about Metallica etc progenitors Anvil, a Canadian band who got nowhere, compared to many of their contemporaries, who were doing their thing.

Why? Stupidity mostly. Never bothering to get a manager? many many entertaining reasons for their failure to be more than the Hosers that they are. In Canadian Metal you don't get a Lars, a Rob Halford, or a Lemmy: you get Bob and Doug clones with Metal hair.

Tongues are sometimes in film makers' cheeks but in a fairly respectful way. Great little doc that should give you a good indication as to what it's like for 99.9% of Canadian musicians "living The dream". Makes Fubar seem like neo-realism.

9.0 spinal tap visual homages outta 10

I just saw that one too.
Not at all what I expected from the buzz around it when it first came out. It truly is like a real Spinal Tap :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Sophie Scholl

Fanboys.  I found it to be hilarious.  I highly recommend it to all Star Wars geeks here.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

Easy Rider. Great on atmosphere, weak on plot. The acting tips the scale though; apparently Dennis Hopper & Jack Nicholson hadn't developed their screen personas yet, so they were actually playing characters instead of themselves. :thumbsup:

p.s. Toni Basil was quite hott in '69.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 22, 2009, 04:17:48 AM
Easy Rider. Great on atmosphere, weak on plot. The acting tips the scale though; apparently Dennis Hopper & Jack Nicholson hadn't developed their screen personas yet, so they were actually playing characters instead of themselves. :thumbsup:

p.s. Toni Basil was quite hott in '69.

Easy Rider is all about atmosphere and zeitgeist, the story on itself is relatively unimportant.

Delirium

A Man for all Seasons, Paul Scofield as Sir Thomas More, from 1966. Outstanding drama. If you ignore an early scene with Orson Welles (parody) and an uncharacteristically loud Robert Shaw as Henry VIII the acting is remarkably low key yet extremely intense, obviously in complete opposition to what passes as drama these days. Refreshing.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

The Larch

Quote from: Delirium on October 22, 2009, 05:18:47 AM
A Man for all Seasons, Paul Scofield as Sir Thomas More, from 1966. Outstanding drama. If you ignore an early scene with Orson Welles (parody) and an uncharacteristically loud Robert Shaw as Henry VIII the acting is remarkably low key yet extremely intense, obviously in complete opposition to what passes as drama these days. Refreshing.

Hey Del, it's been a while, welcome back!  :) What are you up to?

Delirium

I'm waiting to see if my application for doctoral studies in English lit holds up. Being naturally pessimistic, I'm also looking for mundane work with unimpressive results.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan