News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

When was the Golden Age?

Started by Darth Wagtaros, April 05, 2009, 09:58:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Golden Age of the now defunct Tri-Fora System was:

Pre-Diaspora EUOT (which is to say, pre Iraq Attack)
11 (16.2%)
The Rise of Languish as an Exiiles hangout
9 (13.2%)
The True Tri-Fora: With KAPLand providing the outlet of the Nasty
26 (38.2%)
Consolidatoin - KAPLand collapses as Languish absorbs the flotsam
12 (17.6%)
The New Languish, now shed of the years of crap posts and SPAM, rising like a drunken, autistic pheonix from the flames
6 (8.8%)
Fuck you, fuck this, fuck everything and Jaron most of all
4 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Admiral Yi

The first.  Things were not yet hostile and polarized, it was possible to discuss controversial topics with posters from very different perspectives in a courteous manner.

Darth Wagtaros

Ah yes.  I remember the EUTopia RPG. Good times. 
PDH!

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2009, 02:45:26 PM
The first.  Things were not yet hostile and polarized, it was possible to discuss controversial topics with posters from very different perspectives in a courteous manner.

Yes, hardly any debate going on here anymore. The biggest dissenters have long since left, and people seem to come here more out of habit than anything else.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on April 05, 2009, 03:00:37 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2009, 02:45:26 PM

Yes, hardly any debate going on here anymore. The biggest dissenters have long since left, and people seem to come here more out of habit than anything else.
I think the whole "debate" thing is overrated. I come here to hang out and joke with some of the people I like, and egg on some people I don't. Is anyone coming here to be intellectually stimulated?  :huh:

Darth Wagtaros

If Sav got back to writing Ann Frank fanfictionpeople may flock here.
PDH!

PDH

The Golden Age exists whenever I am logged in.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: PDH on April 05, 2009, 03:10:39 PM
The Golden Age exists whenever I am logged in.

So you'd re-start the old IRC room?
PDH!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on April 05, 2009, 03:35:44 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 05, 2009, 01:25:41 PM
They had it a-comin'.
No doubt.  Hearts of Iron ruined EUOT.

I think Paradox mishandled that from the start.  But I think the decline had more to do with the overwrought debates going on during hte build up to Iraq.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

They had it a-comin'.

Oh Christ, those were hilarious days.  Took EUOT from all the EU2 historitards, and introduced an influx of screaming nazi-fanbois.  ZOMG WHERE R TEH CONCENTRATION CAMPS AND TEH SWASITAKS?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 05, 2009, 03:57:58 PM
They had it a-comin'.

I think Paradox mishandled that from the start.  But I think the decline had more to do with the overwrought debates going on during hte build up to Iraq.

Well, that was certainly part of it.  However, the same HoI nazifanboitards were usually the same anti-American Euroweenies.  Funny how that works.

Darth Wagtaros

At the time I was more forgiving than I am now, after more years of dealing with cruddy ass vendors.  So I remember being exasperated with the responses to what I felt to be legitimate concerns by the mods and Paradox staff.  They no doubt felt they were under attack and over reacted. 
PDH!

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 05, 2009, 03:57:58 PM
They had it a-comin'.

No. You know those Confederate fanbois Lettow is an extreme example of? Well, Europe is choke full of people like that, only they are sickeningly fixated on their pet WW2 issues and ethnical "injustices". With HoI they got their wet dream game and flocked the P'dox forums. A whole new market. The horror. The downfall.

As for debates, I dunno. Languish has overgrown that stage, and is now a "social network" as Marty put it. Most people don't "venture out" to communities which disagree with them on their major world view, why should we? And I think we still have some good discussions. To read some extremely insightful and informative posts from some of the intimidatingly knowledgeable people here... then flame them, is what makes this place great. :D

Oh and slightly on topic: I have had to realize that because of Languish I have grown a bit accustomed to launch my take on an issue rather bluntly and boldly in any RL discussion. I used to be more polite, people, damn you! :P