And we're back!

Main Menu

Ubisoft's new DRM

Started by Ed Anger, February 20, 2010, 10:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

http://support.uk.ubi.com/online-services-platform/

QuoteIs there an "off-line" option?
No. The added services to the game (unlimited installs, online storage of saved games and the fact that you don't need the game disc to play) require you to have an online connection while playing the game.

QuoteWill I need to be online the whole time when I play the game? Including for single player?
Yes. You will need to have an active Internet connection to play the game, for all game modes.

LOLZ. :yuk:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Well i can be content in knowing they haven't made any games I am remotely interested in playing :lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

I was sorta interested in SH5. :weep:

Me likey to blow up ships.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Cerr

Yeah it's awful.
I was interested in Ruse and AssCreed 2 but not anymore due to this crap.

More about it here:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/02/17/you-maniacs/

Neil

Meh.  I have an internet connection.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Cecil

I predict the pirates will break it within 1 month.

Syt

Quote from: Cecil on February 20, 2010, 11:26:07 AM

Indeed. Probably run a small server program on your machine and route the DRM there.

It's silly, though, that playing a pirated game becomes a lot more convenient than buying a legit copy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

That long?  Most are cracked and torrented before release.

Razgovory

We should blame Slargos and Tamas.  The thing is, a game that has these DRM protections is more likely to profit then one that does not.  I imagine that we will see a lot more of this.

Personally I find this shit annoying, but I don't begrudge them for it.  It's got to hurt when a you work two years on a game only to see it pirated before the release date and destroy sales.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Broken before street release.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Syt on February 20, 2010, 11:30:16 AM
It's silly, though, that playing a pirated game becomes a lot more convenient than buying a legit copy.
That's where there at though.  Given the expense of modern big-name releases, are you really surprised?

This sounds like it'd be more difficult to beat, given that the program will be in constant contact with Ubisoft's servers.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Alexandru H.

No. The added services to the game (unlimited installs, online storage of saved games and the fact that you don't need the game disc to play) require you to have an online connection while playing the game.

So because they're nice enough to allow us to play without a gamedisc, we're forced to have an online connection while playing... I don't get this line of thought.

Alatriste

Quote from: Alexandru H. on February 20, 2010, 12:43:38 PM
No. The added services to the game (unlimited installs, online storage of saved games and the fact that you don’t need the game disc to play) require you to have an online connection while playing the game.

So because they're nice enough to allow us to play without a gamedisc, we're forced to have an online connection while playing... I don't get this line of thought.

Don't you?  Ask yourself.. why would they want to store in their server your saved games? Why would they want to pay for such servers, actually?

Because with this system (some have called it SPOG, single-player online gaming), you no longer own the game you bought - or rather, leased. You just bought the right to log in those Ubi servers. That's why.

If Ubi decide, two or three years in the future, to discontinue support, we are screwed.
If Ubi decide to charge a monthly fee 'to finance server maintenance', we are screwed.
If Ubi closes doors, we are screwed.
If Ubi decides it won't allow second hand games, we are screwed.

In short, this means a massive transfer of power from buyers to software sellers like Ubi. And I, at least, won't have none of it.

Warspite

Quote from: Syt on February 20, 2010, 11:30:16 AM

Indeed. Probably run a small server program on your machine and route the DRM there.

The reasonable solution is surely to buy it and then crack it.

Bad DRM does not confer moral license to illegally pirate it.  :lol:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA