News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ubisoft's new DRM

Started by Ed Anger, February 20, 2010, 10:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Cecil on February 22, 2010, 02:52:33 PM
I dont think I´ll ever install something with this particular piece of spyware on thanks. Well maybe if it was Starcraft 2.

Thinking of "installing official spyware," I'm just struck by how quickly we've all forgotten about Sony's little rootkit brouhaha.

Honestly, this kind of crap is why I want to get into IP law; there's endless possibilities for purchasing the product/rights to use the product, and then not being able to use it for reasons that are beyond the average PC user's comprehension.  There needs to be some kind of "dud purchase" protection: for example, when you ring up at the register, it puts a hold on the funds until successful installation.  That way, you're not accepting purchases from people who can't meet the invasive DRM scheme.
Experience bij!

Crazy_Ivan80

to use a bit of hyperbole:

if you buy it, it is yours. Anything else is corporate-based communism.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 23, 2010, 04:46:30 PM
to use a bit of hyperbole:

if you buy it, it is yours. Anything else is corporate-based communism.

Software "purchases" are actually treated as leases where user license agreements are concerned (it's usually in the first few lines of those EULA interstitials that nobody reads before clicking "I agree"); there should be more of an effort on the part of marketers and developers to make sure that fact is known before the transaction, though. 

What I don't like is that you think you're purchasing a product, and you're not told that it's actually a lease until you've paid your money, put it in the drive, and begun the installation.  The companies are free to choose whether they'll lease the product to you or sell the product to you, but you should know which kind of transaction it is before you hand over any money.
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Which is probably why that, if challenge, EULAs wouldn't stand in court.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Maybe they should just re-introduce dongles.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2010, 05:15:50 PM
I don't know if it will be harder to use though.  I've never had DRM problems despite the monumental bitching I hear about it.  I wonder how much of the bitching from how hard it is to use is actually by pirates.

I had to crack my copy of Silent Hunter III two weeks after buying it, since Starforce decided it wasn't legit anymore. Needless to say, Ubi has one less customer for SH V now.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on February 23, 2010, 11:22:01 PM

Or the non-xeroxable paper from Zak McKracken.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Vricklund

Quote from: Iormlund on February 24, 2010, 03:38:59 PM
I don't know if it will be harder to use though.  I've never had DRM problems despite the monumental bitching I hear about it.  I wonder how much of the bitching from how hard it is to use is actually by pirates.

I had to crack my copy of Silent Hunter III two weeks after buying it, since Starforce decided it wasn't legit anymore. Needless to say, Ubi has one less customer for SH V now.
Yup, I ended up doing the same thing. I think SH3 was something out of the ordinary though. I've never had as much trouble with copy protection as I had with that disc.

On a side note I have NEVER had any DRM problems with the pirated games I've tried. I think the "monumental bitching" is justified. It just makes it harder to use for the customer. Not only will the pirate get it for free, he'll also get a superior product. Now there's something seriously wrong with that.

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 24, 2010, 03:43:00 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 23, 2010, 11:22:01 PM

Or the non-xeroxable paper from Zak McKracken.

That was a bitch, but I had the original. Forget which game it was, but one had the codes printed glossy black on matt black.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

LOL I saw SH5 and for a second I thought "hey might get this one" and then I remembered... must be great for the developers to have management include a customer assfisting with your game.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 23, 2010, 08:09:34 PM
Which is probably why that, if challenge, EULAs wouldn't stand in court.

Unfortunately, EULAs have stood up in court... provided the pertinent information is immediately clear.  Courts have struck down licensing agreement setups where it's "unclear."  They've also struck down schemes where the terms were deliberately hidden (if you say "by breaking this seal, you agree to be bound by these terms," then the terms had better be on the exterior of the packaging.

I have two concerns about the way these are handled:

1) In physical transactions, there's no mention of a license agreement before the money is exchanged, and courts have not addressed this.  In online transactions, the licensing agreement needs to be available prior to checkout, but there's no such requirement for physical media.

2) Since nobody's checking leases before handing over money, there are a lot of agreements that should be nulled floating around.  Say Mom gives her 10-year-old son allowance money and carte blanche to head to the local games store.  The kid buys a game that's rated "K-A," brings it home, and installs it on his own laptop.  One of the requirements for the agreement to be valid is that both parties have to be eligible to enter into agreements; in the United States, that ten-year-old can't enter on his own into any type of agreement of that nature.  So all that text in the softwrap is really just useless bytes.
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2010, 02:23:24 PM
Why would I care about poor people though?   :huh:

I don't always have an internet connection and I even have computers that never go online. Has nothing to do with poverty.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Vricklund on February 24, 2010, 05:36:41 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on February 24, 2010, 03:38:59 PM

Yup, I ended up doing the same thing. I think SH3 was something out of the ordinary though. I've never had as much trouble with copy protection as I had with that disc.

On a side note I have NEVER had any DRM problems with the pirated games I've tried. I think the "monumental bitching" is justified. It just makes it harder to use for the customer. Not only will the pirate get it for free, he'll also get a superior product. Now there's something seriously wrong with that.

They sell SH3 without the Starforce DRM, at least on Direct2Drive. :thumbsup:

Still won't buy the SH5 POS.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Syt

Anecdote from my colleague.

Her boyfriend got Assassin's Creed 2. Things went well till yesterday. First he spent half an hour trying to connect to the U-be-soft server. Then the game crashes. He tries to re-log in but can't (probably still tagged as connected on the server). When he finally gets back on his saved games can't be accessed.
—Stephen Jay Gould